Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

K5 - Image taking to long to process.

I have the K5 and I really like this camera (I'm a portrait photographer). When I'm in a session photographing my subject I like to see the photo right away, the camera take along time to process the image, it always shows up......... but it takes way to long to see the photo in the view finder. I also have the K10 and I've never had an issue with this, the image always showed up immediately. Has anyone else had this problem? and how can I fix it.

04-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know when I did long exposures the noise reduction software took forever.....maybe you have the noise reduction setting too high for lower ISO's
04-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what SD card are you using? it may be a bit too slow

otherwise it could be any number of in camera settings causing extra processing time
04-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Generally this is because of the shadow/highlight correction and the distortion/CA processing that the camera does, you can turn all those off though. Turning off NR will speed things up massively too.

I can view my images a second or so after they're taken. Whether that's fast enough I dunno, but it suits me.

04-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
Could it be due to settings; or the camera waiting to write to the card?

First the resoultion settings; for the K-5 would it be RAW+jpeg? Next, the exposure setting; what was the ballpark shutter speed? Was it a longer exposure?

I've never heard of this one in the Pentax line, but with other camera models... That looking for space on a memory card can actually cause a delay of the image appearing on the screen. Think of this as needing a defrag on a memory card. Sounds strange, but it happens
04-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

btw you shouldnt defrag solid state or flash storage, as it reduces the write cycles on all blocks for no benefit
04-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

When I turn on the Lens Correction settings (Distortion Correction and Lateral Chromatic Aberration Adjustment) the image takes a lot longer to show up on the display. I use these settings with my DA 18-135mm.

04-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
I will look at the ISO setting and make sure the noise reduction is off. THXs
04-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #9

Original Poster
The card I use the most is a SanDisk Extreme (DSHC) and my ISO is 100 - 200 because I'm out doors most of them time. I'll look into all of these. Thank you, I hope something works and if not I'll will have to get used to it.
04-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
btw you shouldnt defrag solid state or flash storage, as it reduces the write cycles on all blocks for no benefit

Oops you are quite correct; I misstated that and posted before I proofread it.

But, one should completely clean out there flash drive on occasion. It was to my understanding that if one had (as an example) the contents - a,b,c on a flash drive and then deleted b. That eventually the space on the drive for new files would be diminished. Flash drive being effected more than ssd
04-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #11

Original Poster
I went through all my setting in the camera and under the menu in "Lens Correction" I had Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj turned ON, turned it off and now it seem's a lot faster. What is Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj mean? Anyone?
04-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Not positive.....but I would assume that it helps to adjust chromatic abberations ie the color fringing that usually occurs between light and dark areas
04-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lber Quote
I went through all my setting in the camera and under the menu in "Lens Correction" I had Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj turned ON, turned it off and now it seem's a lot faster. What is Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj mean? Anyone?
There are two types of chromatic aberration. Lateral means there is one colour fringed on the left of the object and its complementary colour on the right of the object. Some lenses show more of this than others and if you shoot raw you can edit it out in post processing. (The camera can also do some of this automatically if you have that setting turned on, but it takes processing power) It is better not to notice this CA, Pentax usually controls it well.
The other type is longitudinal, where the bokeh in front of the focus and behind the focus has a colour tint, usually one is purple and the other greenish. This is harder if not impossible to remove and Pentax lenses show this type more often. Well, all lenses can show CA sometimes, it just depends how much and under what conditions.
Purple fringing is slightly different - that is when dark objects in front of a bright background (like tree branches in front of a white sky) are coloured purple on the sides. This, too can be removed in post, especially if you shoot raw. It can be pretty annoying when shooting on overcast days. Cheaply-made lenses tend to show more CA and purple fringing, especially older ones.

Here is a nice article on this topic:
Chromatic aberration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-20-2012 at 12:02 PM.
04-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

BTW, the noise reduction referred to here is not for high ISO - it's for long shutter speeds (1 second or more). It's a totally separate form of noise reduction, controlled via a different option. Google the term "Dark Frame Subtraction" to learn why it takes so long.