Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
You're looking at it all wrong. The A in LBA stands for Adrenaline. Yes, that's right, it's LENS-BUYING ADRENALINE, the rush we experience when new/old lenses move into our clutches. This isn't a mental disease needing therapy and support, but an EMPOWERMENT, a gift of vision, that should be calmly cherished and encouraged. LBA means never having to say, "Hmmm, I wonder what focal length to use now?"
This is vey true. I've got serious LBA, but I'm not a collector. I always sell a old - inferior - lenses to buy a superior afterwards.

Last edited by Clavius; 04-21-2012 at 03:01 AM.
04-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Rico, where do you store all this stuff?
Possibilities:
  • I have this hypercube tesserect that extends into alternate dimensions, giving me unlimited virtual space occupying almost zero volume in our 4D spacetime.
  • I have an old IBM 3350 mass-storage unit with robot arms that, on demand, pluck lenses from their storage niches and deliver them to my hot grubby hands.
  • I got some (discontinued) drawer-boxes from Ikea that fit into bookshelves and somehow contain most small lenses. Other stuff overflows wherever possible.
That's back at my home base. In my tiny historic adobe in Bisbee Arizona on the USA-MEX border, I'm a bit more constrained. My tiny desk (55x90cm, formerly a kitchen work table) has a couple narrow shelves, now lined with most of the 45-50 lenses I have on this sojourn. Above these shelves are a line of hooks from which hang lenses in bags, five cameras, three battery chargers, M42 bellows, keys, earphones, etc. On the top shelf are speakers, drives, flash, IR kit, tubes, mini-tripod, radios. The big tripod and Lil'Bigma DG 170-500 hang off the sides in their shoulder-strap cases. Yes, it's cozy.
04-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Wild guess here, but I'd say Ikea Really has Right Stuff.
04-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
RioRico needs a moderator applied disclaimer as a notorious enabler of LBA and CBA.

Definition of ENABLER : one that enables another to achieve an end; especially : one who enables another to persist in self-destructive behavior (as substance abuse) by providing excuses or by making it possible to avoid the consequences of such behavior

Its actually an evil plot, he plans to build a stacked lens array capable of burning up small nations on a sunny day.

04-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought the same... just a few lenses, I'll be happy with the 18-55 and 50-200. No problem, it will stop there. Then I discovered my old M lenses from the MX my mom gave me mounted up... then I found out about the Fisheye....then everyone I talked to asked if I tried the limited series yet, so I grabbed the DA40. Then I started seeing issues with the 18-55 and learned of the fancy smancy 16-50... then this than that... then it became this::

Camera Bodies
Pentax MX
Kodak P850
Pentax K100D
Pentax K20D
Pentax K5
Nikon J1
Pentax K1000
Sony NEX-5N
Pentax Q

Camera Lenses
Pentax M 50mm f.17
Vivitar 28mm MC f2.8
Vivtar 70-210mm Macro f4-5.6
Pentax DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL
Pentax FA 28-80mm f2.5-5.6
Pentax DA 50-200mm f4-5.6
Pentax DA 40mm Limited f2.8
Pentax DA 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 fisheye
Lensbaby Muse
Pentax M 28mm f2.8
Pentax DA* 16-50mm f2.8 SDM
Pentax M 200mm f4
Pentax M 134mm f3.5
Tamron 90mm Di Macro f2.8
Sigma 70-300mm DG OS f4.5-5.6
Pentax M 28mm f2.8
Pentax Takamur Bayonet 135mm f2.8
Pentax Q 01 Prime f1.9
Pentax FA 77mm limited f1.8

Flashguns
Pentax AF220

Did I mention I got the Elichrome Dlite4 kit on order?
04-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Believe it or don't, I started small. Just the K20D, AF360, DA10-17, DA18-250, and FA50/1.4, with a couple old P&S digicams and a few much older inherited film cams sitting in display cabinets. Then the Raynox DCR-250, no problem.

I forget where I started the roller-coaster ride. No wait, I remember -- an eBay sale of a camera bag with a few old lenses. And another camera bag with yet more lenses averaging US$3 each, including the Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro. Then some Russians including the Helios-44. Then some more. And more. And then my first bellows, and I started getting enlarging-projection-copy lenses REAL cheap. And it's all been glory since then. Oh, the rush!

And now I'm an 'enabler' (look back a few posts). On another thread I'm Dr Frankenstein (for lens-chopping). I must be an evil plot, eh?

Last edited by RioRico; 04-21-2012 at 11:57 AM.
04-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, this applies to any hobby. I decided to completely refinish the inside of my house, including all new cabinetry.
It is frakkin amazing how much stuff is out there for cabinet makers........

04-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Unfortunately, this applies to any hobby. I decided to completely refinish the inside of my house, including all new cabinetry.
It is frakkin amazing how much stuff is out there for cabinet makers........
I guess that Veritas Tools is your main pusher, in Europa we have Dicktum or just Dick.
04-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Dear oh dear.........as my mum would say ........" it can only end in tears....."
cheers
Jan
04-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

if you guys are upset about spending money of lenses, buy a land rover and modify for offroad use. This will curb your camera funding and give you the transportation to get some incredible wilderness shots.
04-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
if you guys are upset about spending money of lenses, buy a land rover and modify for offroad use. This will curb your camera funding and give you the transportation to get some incredible wilderness shots.
I've had a 1985 Land Crusher Cruiser FJ-65 and a 1996 Ford Exploder Explorer, both in 4x4, and a 1969 V6 Chevy long-bed stepside with compound-low split differential (ex-USFS), all jacked-up for high clearance. It's hard to shoot pictures when bouncing along after bear or moose or bison or javelinas or mastadons. And anywhere one of those is driven (and extracted) is no longer wilderness. But some nice 'scapes can be reached and imaged, sure. Maybe I'll try the Darien Gap in Panama some day. Then drive on to Patagonia, eh?

No 4x4 needed: There's a great dirt track running north from Dyer Alaska, just over the line from Stewart BC on a Pacific inlet near Misty Fjords Nat'l Park. Drive past the bear stations (where they fish) and along a glacier and over a pass into a primeval valley that looks exactly like the original cover of CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR. You expect woolly mammoths to pop up at any moment. I drove there in a 2WD 22-foot RV, one of those cheap Fleetwood jobs, no problem. Fuel to get there costs about as much as a Limited or three. Hmmm...

Last edited by RioRico; 04-22-2012 at 02:49 PM.
04-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
Originally posted by Wheatfield Quote Unfortunately, this applies to any hobby. I decided to completely refinish the inside of my house, including all new cabinetry.
It is frakkin amazing how much stuff is out there for cabinet makers........ I guess that Veritas Tools is your main pusher, in Europa we have Dicktum or just Dick.
Right, so if you like handling wood, when in Europe ask someone how to find Dick, got it.

And on the entire continent of north america a Land Rover is quite possibly the most miserably expensive offroad vehicle to do anything with, I don't feel the Fake Jeeps are a ton better and exploders were terrible on or off road.

The majority of places I would try to get to offroad for photos with a motorized vehicle would be best reached by a dual sport dirt bike with a luggage rack with a hard trunk for the camera and oversized gas tank.
04-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
any of these lenses interesting?.

200 mm f 1.4 bajonet
Is there one of these?
04-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
The majority of places I would try to get to offroad for photos with a motorized vehicle would be best reached by a dual sport dirt bike with a luggage rack with a hard trunk for the camera and oversized gas tank.
One word: helicopter.
04-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Old Bedrocks and Festool will deplete funding quickly as well.