Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon>Pentax adapter for a toy lens not avail in Pentax?

I have a Diana mini for 35mm and a Holga 3d, but dont really want to get too much into 120 film except for my 3d photos.
I have a Holga lens for my K7 that was a cheap fun laugh, esp for weird video effects, but I actually prefer the image quality from the Diana lens and have seen there is one for Nikon & Canon, but no other mount.

Given these are all manual lenses with limited adjustability, would I be correct in thinking that I could just get a Nikon-Pentax mount adapter and could then use the Diana on my K7?

Last edited by Parallax; 04-21-2012 at 08:15 AM.
04-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #2

Original Poster
This is a link to the item itsel:

Presenting the Diana F+ SLR Lens Adaptors by Lomography - Lomography
04-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #3

Get an used Nikon F55

An used Nikon F55 is so cheap on ebay that you could get one just for those lenses.

Have fun,
Luis
04-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Since nikon f lenses can be mounted on pentax cameras it is likely the Diana F adapter will fit as well (or require small modification at most).

I'll see what the Diana people have to say about that.

Dave

04-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
KGH
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Holga instead?

Although it seems to be more of a long lens with modular attachments, Holga sells a toy lens system designed for Pentax.
04-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Since nikon f lenses can be mounted on pentax cameras it is likely the Diana F adapter will fit as well (or require small modification at most).

I'll see what the Diana people have to say about that.
Dave
Awesome, sounds promising.
I must admit to having little to zero technical knowledge regarding lens mounts, adapters etc.

In the case that the mount is just a plastic cap of sorts, what would be the likely mod required?
Im guessing that the Diana would just need to be secure in the mount in order to adjust the focus ring and that it would be a case of using aperture priority (as I do with the Holga)??

QuoteOriginally posted by KGH Quote
Although it seems to be more of a long lens with modular attachments, Holga sells a toy lens system designed for Pentax.
Yeah I already have the Holga but I prefer the Diana image quality.

Last edited by JayR; 04-22-2012 at 06:53 AM.
04-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lpfonseca Quote
An used Nikon F55 is so cheap on ebay that you could get one just for those lenses.
Have fun, Luis
Unfortunately, despite the fact that I dont count $100 as cheap for a body I'll have only one use for, I want it for digital, ie my K7. I already have the Diana mini for 35mm!
04-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
Unfortunately, despite the fact that I dont count $100 as cheap for a body I'll have only one use for, I want it for digital, ie my K7. I already have the Diana mini for 35mm!
JayR,

I have little doubt that the Nikon F adapter will work directly (or can easily be made to work) on a Pentax mount. It is inexpensive enough to give it a try.

You say - "In the case that the mount is just a plastic cap of sorts, what would be the likely mod required?
Im guessing that the Diana would just need to be secure in the mount in order to adjust the focus ring and that it would be a case of using aperture priority (as I do with the Holga)??

It is just a plastic cap of sorts & most likely has Nikon flanges (which are very similar to Pentax flanges - Nikon F lenses can be mounted on Pentax K cameras) Probably the most important modification will be drilling a hole in the adapter so the Pentax' locking pin will hold the adapter in the right place as you focus.

Send one to me - I'll make it fit & send it on to you or return it if it cannot work. I hesitate to buy one myself as I have no Diana lenses to try.

Dave

Last edited by newarts; 04-22-2012 at 07:59 AM.
04-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
what an offer! but im in australia though.

anyway, have sent a message re this bundle http://australia.shop.lomography.com/accessories/canon-slr-adaptor-and-diana-lenses-bundle
and whether its also available in Nikon mount, just for interests sake. Not sure i want to buy them all, especially when Lomo shop is totally overpriced (cant remember how cheaply I got my Holga lens, but it was no where near that sort of amount)
But figure due to 120>35>APS-C crop factors, I might need to get some ultra wide angle stuff going on to counter.
04-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #10

Original Poster
JayR,

I have little doubt that the Nikon F adapter will work directly (or can easily be made to work) on a Pentax mount. It is inexpensive enough to give it a try.

You say - "In the case that the mount is just a plastic cap of sorts, what would be the likely mod required?

It is just a plastic cap of sorts & most likely has Nikon flanges (which are very similar to Pentax flanges - Nikon F lenses can be mounted on Pentax K cameras) Probably the most important modification will be drilling a hole in the adapter so the Pentax' locking pin will hold the adapter in the right place as you focus.

Send one to me - I'll make it fit & send it on to you or return it if it cannot work. I hesitate to buy one myself as I have no Diana lenses to try.

Dave
I think that you might be right.
I went into my local shop today and they actually had the Nikon adapter - we tested it in the K-01 they had in there - it fits in flat ok but we couldnt rotate it, so it would not stay secure and would just fall out.
I guess there's something that could be done?

Ive got out my Holga one now and looking at its Pentax mount - might have to go back to compare them side by side.

Being plastic, I'm hoping that some form of mod will be possible to allow it to sit on securely. I had a quick look for modifying Nikon mounts for Pentax on youtube, but alas, no luck.
04-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
would this kind of adapter be overkill/unnecessary?

Nikon Lens to Pentax Optical Adapter | rugift.com

04-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I think that you might be right.
I went into my local shop today and they actually had the Nikon adapter - we tested it in the K-01 they had in there - it fits in flat ok but we couldnt rotate it, so it would not stay secure and would just fall out.
I guess there's something that could be done?
Probably the "ears" on the plastic bayonet are a little too thick and are bumping up against rather than slipping under the Pentax mount's flanges. It is most likely VERY close to the ears slipping under the flanges and just a little sanding or bending of the ears would be needed.

Or if there is a protrusion on the Diana adapter that is preventing it from rotating, cut it off.

It may be practical to cut the ears off the Diana adapter and use an m42-pentax K flange-less adapter as a replacement.
04-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I can't stand the suspense so I ordered a Diana adapter for Nikon-F & will figure out how to make it fit Pentax I hope. I should know the answer by next week.

If all else fails the top part of the Diana adapter could be removed from the bottom part with a thin saw & glued onto a flanged m42-PK adapter. Use a Japanese cabinet saw or bandsaw.

Dave
04-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #14

Original Poster
I can't stand the suspense so I ordered a Diana adapter for Nikon-F & will figure out how to make it fit Pentax I hope. I should know the answer by next week.

If all else fails the top part of the Diana adapter could be removed from the bottom part with a thin saw & glued onto a flanged m42-PK adapter. Use a Japanese cabinet saw or bandsaw.
Dave
Awesome, haha
Not that sharpness is a major drawcard of the Diana, but I wonder how much the slight registration distance difference will make a difference?

Do you think that adapter I posted earlier would be too much/act as a teleconverter?
04-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Awesome, haha
Not that sharpness is a major drawcard of the Diana, but I wonder how much the slight registration distance difference will make a difference?

Do you think that adapter I posted earlier would be too much/act as a teleconverter?
I don't think the registration difference will be much of a problem - it wasn't for nikon lenses I mounted directly onto pentax in the past. At worst you'll lose infinity focus a bit.... (a 1mm error results in a max distance of about the focal length squared.)

I think the adapter with glass will work well. It is a weak teleconverter but I doubt that'd make much if any difference for most purposes (it compromises the Diana wide-angle lens a bit by making it less wide.) If you get the glassed adapter you can use other Nikon lenses too.

For some reason I'm not attracted to the glassed adapter solution - it isn't the money so much as it is compromising the overall plastic-ness of the Diana system. I can get beyond that objection a bit by considering the glassed adapter to be part of the camera rather than the Diana.