Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K10D - Date and Time backup battery

If I pull the battery out of my K10D for more than 12 hrs or so, it loses the date and time. Is this normal? My Canon bodies had a button cell that was there only to hold the settings (including date and time) when the battery was pulled. I can't find one on this camera though, or a reference to one in the manual (yes I did RTFM ).

Thanks

04-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hate to be sticking my nose in all your threads, but I happened to be processing the approval queue

It sounds like the backup battery in your camera is running dry. Getting it replaced in the shop is expensive, so I'd just live with it if you don't want to mess with the camera yourself.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
So it's actually internal and not a "user replaceable part"? If that's the case, then you're right, I'll just live with it.
04-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I believe it is, yeah. Not 100% sure, though, as I've never opened up a K10. I'm sure others can comment on this...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Based on your description, I would guess that the main battery actually charges up a little capacitor.
I always use 2 batteries, so I just swap one in and have the other charging or in the bag - so I never noticed losing the time on my K10d ... that's the other solution!
04-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I'd say it is a capacitor too, since if it were a battery that was dead, it would lose time immediately. I think 12 hours seems reasonable for the capacitor to keep the RTC going. My K100D almost always has batteries in it, so I've never tested just how long it can hold the date and time.
04-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect this is a super capacitor not a battery. There is no mention of a button cell in the K10d service manual

04-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #8

Original Poster
You've all confirmed what I thought. I figured it was a capacitor also, but was hoping there was a replaceable button cell somewhere I couldn't find. It's not that big of a deal, but if I could've fixed it for a $5.00 battery it would have been nice.

Thanks All