Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #1

Pentax K-x and Pentax SMC-Takumar 50mm f1.4 - How to use them together?

Greetings people, my first post on this amazing forum site

I am in possession of a Pentax K-x, 18-55mm kit lens and a Pentax SMC-Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens(on its way to me soon). I am new to photography and have read the forums extensively to learn, and then have shot some with my K-x.
My question: What is the exact name of the Pentax adapter(original, no ebay-duplicates please) to fit the Pentax SMC-Takumar 50mm f1.4 to my K-x? I mean what do I precisely write when I am searching online? Even better would be if someone can point me to the exact page of an online store or auction. (because I don't want to buy the wrong adapter and then waste time sending it back and start the process again...)

Last edited by voyager13; 08-24-2012 at 08:58 PM.
04-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the adapter:
Pentax Mount Adapter K 30120 B&H Photo Video

See also this guide:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulations on a good starting kit! Once you have the adapter and have read the technical usage guide, here are some tips on using the fabulous Tak 50/1.4:

Many will say that it is soft wide open. It isn't; it is quite sharp within its not-quite-flat subject field and thin DOF range. But this lens isn't for wide-open edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness -- use a macro or enlarger lens for that. We have a different goal here, and a winner: this lens get shots that are otherwise impossible. Shoot for dim light, or action, or DOF control / subject isolation, or fun.

Stopped down slightly or more, this Nifty Fifty becomes VERY sharp. Opinions differ over its bokeh. I like it. And its microcontrast gives images that bit of 'pop'. This is just a classic lens.

Focusing wide-open can be tricky. The viewfinder (VF) is bright, but the DOF is thin and hard to see. Start by centering your subjects and paying attention to the Focus Confirmation (FC) green hexagon in your VF. Remember that FC and metering are now center-weighted, not multi-point / matrix. Sneak up on focus. Slowly spin the lens' focus ring back and forth, or move yourself around, until you're sure you've nailed it.

MF is not like AF but it Ain't No Big Thang, nothing to fret about. I shot for 40 years before my first AF camera. Just study and practice zone-focus and hyperfocus and DOF control, pacing-off or guessing-estimating distances, mentally framing and composing pictures.

See what the lens sees. Previsualize its images from your viewpoints. Practice this by going around with the camera OFF. Just look through the VF and compose images, then drop the camera and compose naked-eye. Learn to see like the lens, within its limits. Become the camera.

All lenses and especially older lenses need lens hoods. Period. SMC coatings are great but they're not enough. Get a hood. Don't leave home without it.

That's about all I can think of right now. Have fun!

Last edited by RioRico; 04-23-2012 at 06:30 AM.
04-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
Feedbacks

Thanks Adam for the very useful links
Thing is that since I am in Sweden, its gonna cost $52 just for posting that adapter!! I am wondering if someone has that particular adapter for sale here on the forum (couldn't find it on the buy/sell page here) and is willing to send it to Sweden using a reasonable postal rate?

RioRico - Thanks for the very informative information and the encouragement Will read it once again in a more quieter time than I am in now.

04-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Thanks Adam for the very useful links
Thing is that since I am in Sweden, its gonna cost $52 just for posting that adapter!! I am wondering if someone has that particular adapter for sale here on the forum (couldn't find it on the buy/sell page here) and is willing to send it to Sweden using a reasonable postal rate?

RioRico - Thanks for the very informative information and the encouragement Will read it once again in a more quieter time than I am in now.
At $52 USD for the adapter shipped, that cost more than most of my Takumars! I would check locally or one of the big box internet stores. You don't need to get a Pentax brand adpater, just one that can focus to infinity and has decent reviews. The big difference is the tool to remove adapter from camera comes with all 3rd party adapters, Pentax adapters are removed easily with fingernail/hand. Learning to remove the adapter the first few times will be stressful.

Go here and post a few questions, some maybe able to answer questions about 3rd party adapters and takumar lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club.html

You can also use most if not all Takumars (or most m42 lenses) in Av mode, Aperture Priority, you'll just have to determine how much exposure compensation will be needed. I use Takumars in this mode and found on my K-x I needed to add +2.3 but this will vary. Trial and error till you learn how camera and lens work together
04-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Theunartist, that was very informative. Didn't know there was a site called Takumar club Boy am I getting hooked to these Takumars