Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lens pens fluff

I've been using a lens pen to clean my lenses and filters, but the other day I noticed what seem to be tiny grains of fluff or smudge (not sure on the right word) left behind on the glass. It didn't seem like much, but when I turned an LED flashlight on the filter glass, there did seem to be a substantial amount of these tiny smudge grains. IT's like the lens pen is leaving behind it's carbon compound.

The lens pen is as good as new, so I am a bit curious if any of you guys have a similar experience? ...Or am I just obsessing over nothing... I'll see if I can get a picture of.

//Mikael

04-23-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have used lens pens in the past as well. They will get old and dirty so you may just need to replace it. Because of this Ive started to use pec-pads www.photosol.com rather than the pens cleaning pad. This way I can throw out the dirty pads and always have a clean pad to use.
04-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do suspect that the online market is now flooded with counterfeit LensPens, because the company was stupid enough to send the manufacturing to China. They are all over Ebay for less than half normal retail prices. Are they really safe? I've not heard of any problems but I don't want to find out first hand. And as ebahle infers, they wear out. They are a nice tool, I just want to trust it. I usually just use the brush for dust anyway.
04-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think it might have been caused by overturning the cap, if that is possible. I tried that lens pen again yesterday and it did seem to do the job right this time.
I will agree there is no point in going on a compromise on lens pen, if you are going to use it on expensive lenses.

Thanks for the replies and advice

04-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I do suspect that the online market is now flooded with counterfeit LensPens, because the company was stupid enough to send the manufacturing to China. They are all over Ebay for less than half normal retail prices. Are they really safe? I've not heard of any problems but I don't want to find out first hand. And as ebahle infers, they wear out. They are a nice tool, I just want to trust it. I usually just use the brush for dust anyway.

The real ones work well for a good few hundred goes. Just make sure you get all of any grit off the lens with the brush or a blower before using the pad.

The fakes usually do not have any of the carbon compound, just a bit of black foam rubber Stay clear, if it is cheap or sold by anyone with a Chinese name and a million eBay positives then it is probably a fake.
04-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I only buy my Lens Pen on Amazon (sold by Amazon). They are a bit more expensive but I have a peace of mind.
04-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #7

Lens pens have worked well for me, provided that you remove any small particles on the lens with a brush or blower first.