Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens serial number

I've noticed that when a person gives a lens serial number they usually delete the last several digits. e.g. lens number 1234xxx. Why the secrecy?

04-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

For insurance reasons most likely.
04-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Habit.

For lenses that I'm selling, I give the full number as ID. For lenses I'm describing on any forums, I'll usually go with XX numbers, unless I'm comparing to another mentioned lens with a close number. Publicly revealing the ID of a Helios-44 worth maybe US$20 isn't going to damage me AFAIK. I'm not really sure why I obfuscate, haven't thought it through seriously, just go-with-the-flow of common practice. Like I said: habit.
04-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect there is a lot of concern over revealing exactly what you own for fear someone will claim it as thiers.

04-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I suspect there is a lot of concern over revealing exactly what you own for fear someone will claim it as thiers.
+1 with Lowell.
04-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Did you mean that someone might have had a lens stolen from them, that I subsequently and unwittingly bought thinking it was a legitimate used lens?

If so, I certainly wouldn't want to own stolen goods; that would seem to be the whole purpose of having the serial number registry.

I am about to register some lenses which I recently bought brand new; hoping there isn't some other fraudulent use case that you meant.
04-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Did you mean that someone might have had a lens stolen from them, that I subsequently and unwittingly bought thinking it was a legitimate used lens?

If so, I certainly wouldn't want to own stolen goods; that would seem to be the whole purpose of having the serial number registry.

I am about to register some lenses which I recently bought brand new; hoping there isn't some other fraudulent use case that you meant.
I think it goes both ways, while I have bought all my lenses from traceable sources, many of my lenses are used. There is no way to stop someone from making up documentation containing my serial numbers to attempt to claim my property. Others may be less reputable in the source of their lenses but no one wants a hassle Also, why should we tell people what we own? People don't have a right to know what we own, if we elect to tell them that is our option.

04-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think it goes both ways, while I have bought all my lenses from traceable sources, many of my lenses are used. There is no way to stop someone from making up documentation containing my serial numbers to attempt to claim my property. Others may be less reputable in the source of their lenses but no one wants a hassle Also, why should we tell people what we own? People don't have a right to know what we own, if we elect to tell them that is our option.

Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense. Looking over my post, I realize my tone might not have sounded too friendly. I didn't mean to imply that anyone had some kind of moral obligation to report what they had. That said, since most of my lenses are new, and I have all my receipts, I will go ahead and register the serial numbers that I have, in case there are any odd manufacturing trends to be gleaned.
04-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The serial db has a privacy option for exactly these reasons. That will allow you to state that a lens is yours (and even print a list of your lenses) without revealing them to other members.
04-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses everybody. I think you're all partly right