Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sharpness issue!

I would love some comments regarding the sharpness of the photos below. I'm starting getting paranoid: I don't find that my photo's has the amount of sharpness that I would like. I know there can be so many reasons for that, and I'm trying to eliminate as many as possible. First I blamed my kit lens, but I don't find pictures taken with 35 Limited remarkably sharper when I zoom in on the photo! So if anybody would like to comment on this, it would be much appreciated!
Pictures taken using tripod, SR off. PP: Levels and contrast!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
04-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you shooting in raw? Are you doing any sharpening?
04-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

To me they don't look bad at this small size.
Although your camera might be front focusing a bit because the flower at the bottom look sharper then the wall.
04-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #4

You could use live view to manually focus, and zoom in on the LCD so you make sure focus is bang on, then check again. Could be front/back focus. As mentioned, if it's raw, you will probably need to add sharpening anyway.

I'd be happy with that personally, although I don't pixel peep all that much as it is . Add an unsharp mask/other form of sharpening to your workflow if you want more maybe.

04-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

They are OK, but could be better. Try manual focus and not auto. Some lenses are just half-ass with sharpness.

Try mirror lock up with 2 sec shutter delay. But you should not have to do this to get it sharp.

Kit lens is a crapper. But it is sharp enuf for what it is and usefull as a cheap disposable lens.
04-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, as mentioned, I might be getting paranoid! When I zoom in 100%, it really doesn't look sharp to me. But I honestly don't know what to expect. It is raw, and I didn't sharpen!
04-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
They are OK, but could be better. Try manual focus and not auto. Some lenses are just half-ass with sharpness.

Try mirror lock up with 2 sec shutter delay. But you should not have to do this to get it sharp.

Kit lens is a crapper. But it is sharp enuf for what it is and usefull as a cheap disposable lens.
I did mirror lock up, and I also checked manual focus.

04-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by BakDinitzen Quote
It is raw, and I didn't sharpen!
That could be it then. Raw files pretty much always need sharpening. Why? Because the camera won't do any to it, it's just raw data from the sensor. Try taking the same shot as raw+jpeg, compare the two, and you should see that the jpeg is a bit sharper because it had some done to it in-camera.
04-23-2012, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Well, I would go out and find a sharper brick wall to shoot...

04-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BakDinitzen Quote
I did mirror lock up, and I also checked manual focus.

Make sure lens is clean. Use a lenshood. Try dif f stops. Shoot some closeups of a $1 bill or coins and send in some jpegs
04-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

They look in-focus. RAW files need sharpening. The lower the ISO, the more sharpening they need. (Higher ISO needs less because of the noise factor.)
04-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Woj Quote
That could be it then. Raw files pretty much always need sharpening. Why? Because the camera won't do any to it, it's just raw data from the sensor. Try taking the same shot as raw+jpeg, compare the two, and you should see that the jpeg is a bit sharper because it had some done to it in-camera.
definitely this is part of the answer. the shots look acceptable re sized for the web though (you could put up a 100% crop as an example).
As mentioned though Raw files all need some sharpening. and you should really do the sharpening based onthe planned output (ie is it for print or web.If print how large and from what viewing distance)

For me the realistic measure is never pixel peeping on a screen aside from to look for back/front focus issues. the judgement for me is the print (I know I'm an old fashioned geezer)
04-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

at F8 it should be sharp pretty well from the branches to the wall. I don't know how your raw program works, but in adobe it puts some sharpening on automatically. If your program can be set to do this, then see if the results improve. also try with flash to see if it helps the sharpness (I notice that flash helps improve my sharpness on my k10 for what ever reason)

good luck
04-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Looks sharp enough to me at that resolution. The shadow of the thorns near the left edge look sharper than the bricks, though, so I wonder if maybe lack of contrast is making the photo look less sharp than it actually is? A lens hood (as someone else mentioned) (and if you're not already using one) will improve contrast and might improve perceived sharpness.

Maybe try this test: repeat with the same lens, wall, and lighting conditions. Set the aperture to its widest and take one photo with autofocus. Then set to manual focus, turn the focus a little in one direction, take a photo, turn the focus a little the other direction, take a photo. If either manual photo is sharper than the autofocus one then it's a focus issue. If all 3 look sort of the same the autofocus is working okay. Or try Live View as another poster mentioned.
04-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all replies.
It seems, except for possible back/front focus issue and replacement of my wall , it's up to my pp skills. That certainly might be the case. I use Aperture, and don't know if it applies a certain amount of sharpening as default, but I have tried to ad more sharpening to my wall, and it definitely improved the result.