Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hoya 420418 with K-m

Many years ago, I purchased a used Hoya 75-205 zoom/macro lens, to go with my old camera. I took many wonderful shots with them, so when I decided to upgrade to a DSLR a few years ago, I bought one that my lens would fit. The salesperson was helpful in pointing out that not all of the automatic features would work, and showed me how to set the focal length, and "use aperture ring" setting.
Off I went, merrily snapping, thinking that I could manually set the aperture [edit] while in auto settings [/edit].
Puzzled I was, to find that it did not seem to matter where I set it. [edit] while in auto settings [/edit]

Is there any way to get around this, other than removing the lever from the lens?

Attached Images

Last edited by pragmaticjim; 04-23-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: New information came to light
04-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #2

Original Poster
Ok, I am such a nooob. I did some fiddling around, and found that the camera DOES in fact allow me to set the aperture, but only in the manual setting, and, most importantly, it stays full open until the shutter opens. (as the shutter opens, the aperture closed down to the point that I manually set it) This to me seemed strange, until I consider that I have to look through that aperture, sometimes in very low light situations. It's a shame that I can not manually set the aperture, and let the camera take care of the shutter speed.
04-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, welcome to the wonderful (NOT being facetious) world of manual aperture lens shooting!! I'm not sure if the K-r's green button works the same as the k200d, but if it is, then you just hit that and BAM you've got your shutter speed set. Almost auto .

In the last 4 months, I think I've taken 50 pictures with auto-aperture lenses. of thousands.
04-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
I'm not sure if the K-r's green button works the same as the k200d, but if it is, then you just hit that and BAM you've got your shutter speed set. Almost auto .
Very cool, It doesn't have a "green" button, but it does have an AV button. When I press it, the aperture closes, and the exposure re-adjusts.
TYVM