Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Can't get lens off K-x

Hello. I'm trying out a friend's lens on my Pentax K-x. Mounting the lens on the camera for the first time, it would not fully seat. It is on straight but wobbles. I can't get it off and that is what worries me. It will turn a small fraction of an inch back and forth but will not come off. Can anyone help? The lens is a Prospec MC Auto Zoom 80-200 zoom, made in Korea. It's quite heavy, seems well made, and has an aperture ring with f 3.9 to 22. This is the first time I have tried to mount it on the K-x. My friend's camera, on which it had been mounted, is a Pentax A3000. Thank you.

04-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jiggle the AF switch/lever - on the camera - to MANUAL as you are removing the lens. It seems that the Ricoh pin has struck again.
04-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the idea of sliding a peice of 35mm film between the lens and camera to get the pin out, never tried it myself but sounds like it would work.

04-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

once you get it off... grind that sucker down! dremel tool works great for this

good luck
04-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Myer Quote
Hello. I'm trying out a friend's lens on my Pentax K-x.
If he grinds it down, the friend could get upset.
04-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm jiggling the AF/MF switch as I twist the lens back and forth, using considerable force. Should the camera be on or off? I usually have it off but I have also tried with it on.

04-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leave the camera off, your dilemma is strictly mechanical in nature..
Read up on the several posts about "removing a lens with Ricoh pin stuck on camera".
04-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've read all the recommended articles and threads. Still trying all the suggestions. No luck yet.
04-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Leave the camera off, your dilemma is strictly mechanical in nature..
Read up on the several posts about "removing a lens with Ricoh pin stuck on camera".
The ricoh pin gets stuck in the Af drive. When you switch from manual focus to auto focus, the drive screw pops forward which sometimes can push the pin enough to release. Try putting light but constant pressure on the lens turning in the direction to remove it. With constant light pressure, try flipping the auto focus switch from manual to auto several times.

Alternatively, if you have some automotive feeler gauges, with the camera off and the auto focus switch set to manual, and light pressure turning the lens in to removal direction, try to work one of the thinest feeler gauges under the pin. The pin is stuck about 45 degrees counter clockwise from the bottom center of the camera. The last time it happened to me, I had to mess with it for a while before I got it to pop loose.
04-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Alternatively, if you have some automotive feeler gauges
1+ on that solution...

Steve
04-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have not had success yet. I tried many of the suggestions. Thank you all for your help.
I emailed all your very kind responses, and the "theater of noise" webpage recommended by boriscleto in this thread to my nephew, Brian, and asked him to stop by and try to get this lens off. He said he will come by after work tomorrow. I'll let you all know the results tomorrow.
Thank you again.
04-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I remember reading a similar post long time ago. The solution was pressing the release button and at the same time sliding sth thin (paper?) between the lens and the camera (where the pin is).
04-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

One other thing. Some ricoh pins will actually retract like the A pin does when you move the aperture ring away from the A position. If the lens is in the A position turn it to one of the number settings.
04-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My nephew, Brian, was supposed to stop by and look at my problem last night, but forgot. He did come by this evening, looked at the camera, tried a few things, and then took the camera with him. He said he does have automotive feeler gauges and will try retracting the pin that way. He could feel the pin when he inserted the edge of a metal tape measure into the gap between lens and camera. He said he is optimistic he will be successful.
I will update this thread again when there is further to report. Thank you again for all your help on this forum.