Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Questions about normal behaviour of the Camera

Good evening,

1. I just bought a K-5. The thing is, when I shoot in high mode with LV on, it just stops, freezes. Takes about 7 frames/ s and then it stops. After I exit LV, it sometimes does the same thing in the Viewfinder mode. I mention that I ain' t using it in high temperature and that the firmware is up to date. Could it be that It is faulty?
Yesterday I wanted to take some pictures in a PUB, and i saw that the battery was showing it was drained. Curious the fact that for 3 4 days it didn' t even move a bit (the battery meter) . I said OK, is normal after all the frames taken. I tried to take some pictures, the mirror started acting weird, it took the pictures very slow, like it was jammed. I tried to switch the lenses and took out the battery (this, i do not know why, but i just did) . I put the camera in LV mode, the Battery appeared as being fully charged. Tried to take some pictures, it jammed (in fast burst mode) . After a few frames, it showed as my battery was again, drained. Ok again, the battery might be new and can' t be `read` properly. I shut down the camera, came home, charged the battery through the whole night, in the morning putting it back in the camera. Started shooting, the same issue. Came home after about 14 hours, started shooting, same issue. Pulled out the battery, put it back in and no problems. Shoot shoot- again problems. Now, after the WB settings, there are no more problems. Could it be the famous `mirror flop` ? That means this camera is doomed for service, is it not?
I changed the AWB to white balance flash, and it came back to normal. Initially i had it on sunny. I am going to try this on the other options. A DA lens 55-200mm in full manual mode. The firmware is the latest.
Changed back the AWB to Bright, and it runs normal (high speed burst) . So I guess this camera is faulty?
Any chance it was dropped on the ground (by the shop retailers or what not) ?

2. Whenever I shake (not hard) just moderate the camera, it sounds like something is broken in it. Is it normal, should parts be so... loose?

Thank you for any answers.

Last edited by urssu; 04-24-2012 at 01:10 PM.
04-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

1. I believe is a known issue with some earlier K-5s with the camera taking continous shots on its own, if you search you will likely find a few threads on it or someone will chime in, that said it isnt normal, I think I remember reading that a low battery might have something to do with it
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/152033-k5-mirror-flops-s...gun-found.html

2. That sound is normal it is the Sensor and SR mechanism moving around

If you just bought it new I would return it for another copy. I got my K-5 in Nov from Pentax and havent had any of the reported issues
04-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
It doesn' t really take any shoots of its own, it just fires very vague. It' s kind of anemic.
The camera is turned off when that sound appears. Off or on, is the same.
04-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
It doesn' t really take any shoots of its own, it just fires very vague. It' s kind of anemic.
The camera is turned off when that sound appears. Off or on, is the same.
Can you return it?

04-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, technically I can but the only firm in this country that is a Pentax representative isn' t really that cheered about here. Damn it, I felt in love with it already and now... I think that a bad start leads is a sign of a doomed `journey` . But i' ll see if I can take it back, because the jamming has stopped. I' d rather have it stopped forever.

L.E. Sound reason: The mirror is loose, as i move the camera. I guess that is normal behavior?
04-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Before you return it, try another SD card -- make sure it is Class 10 or faster.
04-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Try what vonBaloney says maybe that will fix it. It is a great camera though hopefully you can sort out the issue.

The sound is just the sensor/SR mechanism, it sort of floats on a plate in the body
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/94122-b...lr-camera.html

"The sensor is on a magnetic "floating' chasis and this is for the shake reduction and dust removal systems."
04-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
Good morning,

I have a Lexar 133x Class 10 in it, I guess there are faster SD Cards, but I do not have the necessary money for them. Will try all of the things above, and if something like this ever appears I' ll send it to service.

Thank you, have a great day!

04-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Good morning,

I have a Lexar 133x Class 10 in it, I guess there are faster SD Cards, but I do not have the necessary money for them. Will try all of the things above, and if something like this ever appears I' ll send it to service.

Thank you, have a great day!
That card should likely be fast enough. May be worth trying another card in case there is something faulty with yours. If it persists I would def bring it back. Not worth the headache