Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I discovered some useful features of K10D in the manual a couple of years ago, after owning it for 3 years or so

04-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased my first DSLR just over a year ago, a K-r. I can't say I read the manual "cover to cover", but I've spent a fair amount of time reading and re-reading sections when I am playing around with it or have a specific question about something, like what the heck is the green button all about?. It's always nearby. I haven't downloaded the pdf yet...but probably wll sometime. I like manuals. I still have my original ME Super manual, (actually two copies), and every now and then, I pull it out and read it too....It reminds me of simpler days without all the "gee whiz" features of my K-r....It's a lot thinner than the K-r manual...with better illustrations....After many years of resisting digital, I was pleased to learn that the techniques for digital aren't fundimentally different than the ol' ME Super and film...I can afford to take more photos now and the fear of wasting the negative is gone! I'm thinking I might start a new thread...."do you read your car manual"?.....never mind...
04-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #33

Original Poster
Just got my iPad out and started looking at the k-r manual. I wish someone could sell their paper version to me...
04-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
The first 9 months of K-x ownership I actually carried the manual in my camera bag... Used it loads!

Only after I realised I was refering to it less and less that it was placed on the bookshelf...

Went on a PentaxUser (the UK forum) trip last weekend and was shown a feature I'd never used by another member... Got home checked the manual... So it still gets used and I'm taking better photographs because of it...
Except for the UK part, this was me when I first got my K-X. Within 5 minutes of ordering it, I had the manual downloaded on my laptop and was reading it while waiting for the camera to arrive. I believe in manuals-if only to avoid doing something stupid and voiding the warranty. I still don't use all the functions regularly and will refer back to the manual when I want to use something I've only used once or twice.

04-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I looked over it whilst the Battery was charging.
Skipped of the boring bits and read though the interesting parts and the custom menu settings.
I have a pdf copy downloaded which I refer to occasionly when on here (PForum) and dont have the camera on me.
I think I have a pretty good idea of how the thing works for any function I am going to use.

I have a AF540 flash and I read the manual completely cover to cover several times
Donwloaded the pdf and went though it whilst with the flash and the camera in hand testing.
I still dont have a clue how to use it properly.
04-27-2012, 03:28 AM   #36

Yes I do read manuals one time fully always
04-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #37
Forum Member

I flipped through a lot of camera manuals before buying my camera. There's lots of interesting stuff in there. For instance, I never would have guessed that holding on to hot objects can lead to skin burns till Canon warned me about that. Nikon warns me not to use smoking electronics. I forget who warned me not to choke on my memory cards. The reactions you get when you point those out to people are worth the trouble of skimming it over at least once.

04-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ailuropoda Quote
I flipped through a lot of camera manuals before buying my camera. There's lots of interesting stuff in there. For instance, I never would have guessed that holding on to hot objects can lead to skin burns till Canon warned me about that. Nikon warns me not to use smoking electronics. I forget who warned me not to choke on my memory cards. The reactions you get when you point those out to people are worth the trouble of skimming it over at least once.
The Pentax manuals that the SD card may be HOT when removing it.
Imagine what untold damage can be done if you swallowed a HOT SD card.

Really glad i read that part, feeling much safer knowing that.
04-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #39
Banned

Photos: Albums
I read my most recent camera purchase; the Pentax K-01 manual; all 260+ pages of it, plus all of the accompanying material - and as a bit of paranoia... I also have all of the documentation downloaded onto a thumb drive, onto a real computer laptop and also a tablet, and even a type of skydrive.

One thing I could never figure out about computers though; is why they don't come with either a physical version of real manuals/books, etc... or possibly an online one. The second option would be better to adapt to the user's level of expertise - or lack thereof. Nothing quite like having a 10k laptop without any real manuals.
04-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
The Pentax manuals that the SD card may be HOT when removing it.
Imagine what untold damage can be done if you swallowed a HOT SD card.

Really glad i read that part, feeling much safer knowing that.
Reading the warnings in any user manual or guide is a sad exploration of human idiocy. Each of those warnings is there because corporate lawyers insisted on them, because more than a few morons have done what is being warned about, and lawsuits have ensured. WARNING: MEMORY CHIP IS NOT EDIBLE and WARNING: DO NOT INSERT BATTERIES INTO BODY ORIFICES and WARNING: DO NOT PUT CHILDREN OR PETS INTO MICROWAVE aren't just signs of corporate humor -- these are immunizations against further liability. Oh, the humanity...

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
One thing I could never figure out about computers though; is why they don't come with either a physical version of real manuals/books, etc... or possibly an online one. The second option would be better to adapt to the user's level of expertise - or lack thereof. Nothing quite like having a 10k laptop without any real manuals.
In the bright world of the future, all electronic devices will have their manuals in ROM onboard, readable by bringing your iPad or Kindle or whatever into close proximity. Vernor Vinge says so, thus it will be so.
04-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I read the K-5 manual in PDF form while I was waiting for the camera and used it frequently in the first couple of days of ownership when I was trying every feature to learn how it all worked (or, at least, the stuff it does differently to my K200D). Haven't touched it since though, I think it's in the box just in case I ever sell it.
04-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was exploring a cave the other day, and I swear I saw ancient drawings of fire with stick figure humanoids with lines thrugh their bodies, as if to say....fire, hot....don't jump in...so I concluded that that even before paper manuals, or pdf files, or tv commercials during day-time TV, ...there were lawyers.
04-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I try to read the manuals but find them really hard to understand. I do refer to them from time to time when I want to try something new--sometimes I find what I'm looking for and sometimes, after finding it, I understand it.
04-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Just in case I get stuck I have the PDF manuals in my Android Phone. Its much smaller to carry than paper manuals.
Glenn
04-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
I really wish I had a printed version of the English Manual. My camera only came with the Japanese version an I dislike reading big documents on a computer screen...
I have the same issue except a Chinese manual. I've been meaning to download the manual online but I haven't got around to it yet. Usually if I have a question I just google it.

But I should read the manual...