Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
dots of dirt - help plz

Hi

I have a K-r - i get spots on my photos - same spots no matter what lens. I have attached 2 photos, they seem different depending on shutter speed, sometimes they look like dots and other times like chunks of dirt. I have used the auto Dust removal feature and this does not help. Do I have to send my camera away to have it cleaned? Is there something I can do? (I have tried those little hand blowers- it didn't work) thank you to anybody in advance who can give me some advice. J

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
04-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Easy to fix, you need the little gummy stick that pentax make. It's mentioned in your manual:
Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit

Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit 39357

Not cheap, but cheaper than ruining your camera with some other method or sending it off for cleaning. Can be reused many many times, so should last you several cameras.
04-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

This makes people crazy, but I use canned gas (Dust-Off, specifically) for blowing dust off of sensors.
04-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worth trying a blower first, see if it's easily removed. Always try the easiest, less tricky method first. If that doesn't work, then you may need the cleaner kit.

04-26-2012, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Try the Rocket Blower first, then the above-mentioned cleaning kit if the sensor is still dirty. Meanwhile, you can edit those spots out using your photo editing software. Use the Clone Brush, Clone Tool, or Touch Up tool, etc. Easy fix if there aren't too many spots to remove.
04-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Worth trying a blower first, see if it's easily removed. Always try the easiest, less tricky method first. If that doesn't work, then you may need the cleaner kit.
I have tried the little hand blower, it did't work. Can you use the 'air in a can'? I thought you could do more harm than good with those? Is that true?

thank you calsan I am going to order the kit, just to have handy in case I end up needing it. I have tried 'you tubing' how to use the kit, and I can't find a good video, I hope it comes with good intructions.
04-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
OMG shipping is 52.00 guess i have to try and find it somewhere else....
04-28-2012, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #8

Do no use a aerosol air blower. It will most lokey ruin your sensor. very fine drops of liquid will come out of these aerosol air blowers

04-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Budd Quote
Do no use a aerosol air blower. It will most lokey ruin your sensor. very fine drops of liquid will come out of these aerosol air blowers
Urban myth and not true. Like I said, it makes people crazy when I say I use canned gas, an it's because people buy into this sort of tripe.
04-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Urban myth and not true. Like I said, it makes people crazy when I say I use canned gas, an it's because people buy into this sort of tripe.
i don't know, even if something bad only happens once every 10 thousand times, you'd have to know me, to know it would happen to me ... lol... I can't afford for it to happen, huummmm mind you if it did happen I would be forced to upgrade to a K-5 ....... bring on the air !!!!! :evil:
07-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #11

The problem is when someone uses it for more than just a quick 'hit'. Using "dust off" makes the nozzle cold very quickly and then condensation forms and joins the gas stream. At that point you have a problem. I have used it in just a very few quick puffs of less than a second and had good results. If your spots are more stubborn than that, find some other way.
07-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter

A "big" rocket blower, not a "little" hand blower. You need to move a lot of air :-)
07-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A "big" rocket blower, not a "little" hand blower. You need to move a lot of air :-)
thank you - I will try that, i am 1 step away from shipping it to pentax to get it cleaned. It is driving me nuts
07-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

After 5+ years, my K10D is constantly in need of cleaning. I will occasionally use canned air too. BTW, the couple of spots on the posted shots are nothing. My vacation shots, much of which was spent on beaches and very windy, had around 20 or more. That sand seemed to get into everything. I cleaned all my gear with compressed air. The spot healing tool is my friend. The dust removal on the K5 is much better.
07-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tweet25 Quote
thank you - I will try that, i am 1 step away from shipping it to pentax to get it cleaned. It is driving me nuts
Have you read about how to do it? You do realize you need to lock the mirror up first, right? And do it in very strong light. If you can't see the dust on the sensor with your own eyes, you won't have a very good chance of blowing it off.