Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #1

Advice needed for using K5 on a camping holiday

My query mainly centres on how much heat it is safe to expose the K5 to. We will be camping in France quite close to a sandy beach but I am concerned about both the sand and rising temperatures if the camera were to be left in the tent or a locked car. A friend has offered me a £350 waterproof enclosure which I thought might be a good storage medium for the camera and I don't intend to actually take it on the beach. Am I better off just sticking to a compact and an iPhone? I don't want to damage the K5!

04-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Camera in camera bag, camera bag with you. Camera comes out for taking photo then goes back in bag. That what I do for every beach holiday anyway.
04-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Camera in camera bag, camera bag with you. Camera comes out for taking photo then goes back in bag. That what I do for every beach holiday anyway.
Absolutely agree!

I would add however, that I'd try not to change lenses too often on the beach... Maybe stick to the WR-kit..
04-26-2012, 02:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Twitch and Dave. I tend to follow that advice already as I'm a bit paranoid about looking after my new K5. Where we are going we'll be cycling a lot and I can see that maybe having the K5 around all the time could be tricky. Hence my query re heat! I guess I just need to decide whether I have it with me at all times or leave it at home on this trip. Many thanks!

04-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I started out very nervous about damaging my K-5. But in the past 8-9 months I've taken it on hikes where it poured rain, on windy beaches with lots of spray, left it in hot cars. Sometimes I had a WR lens, other times not. If you take reasonably prudent precautions (don't throw it in the ocean, don't bury it in the sand, try to keep it in a bag when possible, etc) you'll be fine. The camera's tougher than I am. I get whiny in the rain or the heat.
04-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Besides, did you really spend all that money on a high quality weather resistant camera so that you can leave it at home and use some other camera when weather resistance may be important? Bring it, use it, just don't be stupid with it.
04-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by symphony1010 Quote
Where we are going we'll be cycling a lot and I can see that maybe having the K5 around all the time could be tricky
To be honest, it sound like you need a suitable bag that meets the criteria of your activities more than anything... The K5 is safer 'on you' than locked in the car...

Generally I use shoulder bags... But a rucksack type bag for walking and cyling is a part of my collection (lowpro)

04-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take it with you and exercise reasonable care. Plastic zip-lock bags can be a great insurance policy.
04-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just came back from a vacation in Mexico so I have some advice. First of all, don't worry about it. Like others said, just take reasonable care of it - like don't leave it baking in the sun and don't kick sand on it, for example. 2) Just bring one all-around lens like a 17-70 or 18-200 - I brought a large tele and although I used it, I could have easily lived without it - and in general 3) Do a sensor dust check any time you swap your lens. (I just had to remove many dust specs from every photo from my vacation. Its worth checking and blowing off any dust that may appear after a lens change.)