Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is this in my lens?

Hope this is the right forum...

Found an old lens lying around, planning to Ebay it - looked to be in perfect condition, clean, etc. I was just about to list it and had a last check over of the glass and in a certain light some weird stuff is visible on one of the inner elements. This was pretty tricky to get a photo of, but I managed it in the end.

So, in order to be 100% honest, what should I describe this as in the auction?

(Click to enlarge)

04-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

An early stage of fungus?

If you google pictures, they look similar, except your lens doesn't have it that bad...

When putting it up for auction, I would just mention that it isn't clean inside/needs some cleaning and show the picture.

Last edited by Julie; 04-28-2012 at 01:15 AM.
04-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Definitely fungus I'm afraid.
04-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK! Fungus it is, shame. Thanks!

I don't even have a camera that'll mount this thing the right way around, so it's getting sold anyway. F1.4 so I might still get a few quid for it from someone who doesn't care.

04-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want to halt it's growth, you can stunt it by exposing it to cold - Mycelium is pretty sensitive to temperature. Just a thought, as Mycology is my brother's thing, and I see him do the same thing with petri dishes that get invaded by molds and such.(Helps prevent it from sporing before he can clean it out)

Course you'd want a nice dry cool place...hard to find that in mid-spring I suppose.
04-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nowhere dry and cold (one or the other, but not both) in the UK that I know of! I'll be leaving it out in the sun when we get some sun, so the UV gets to it, and I've left it by a window with the front cap off for now in case that helps.
04-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Nowhere dry and cold (one or the other, but not both) in the UK that I know of! I'll be leaving it out in the sun when we get some sun, so the UV gets to it, and I've left it by a window with the front cap off for now in case that helps.
How about the freezer in your kitchen?
04-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
How about the freezer in your kitchen?
That might not be dry, but it's a thought.

04-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, be upfront on the bay. Also take some sample photos with the elns to show what it can do for the buyer. Many times such things degrade the image very little.
04-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I'd be concerned about moisture in the freezer - maybe unwarranted, not sure!

Can't mount the lens on any camera I currently own, except reversed - buyers will have to take the chance! I've made it very clear in the listing.