Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #1

New to photograpby

Would a Tamron AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD macro lens be a good everyday lens? I only want to carry one lens.

05-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Though I've never owned or used that lens, I'm going to go ahead and say: YES

PS. I found the following reviews that you might find helpful

Tamron SP AF28-300/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Review - photo.net
Tamron AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical [IF] Macro Lens Review
05-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to consider whether you have a full frame (35mm film) or APS-C digital camera. That lens will work on either, however on full frame 28mm is considered wide-angle but on APS-C it is not particularly wide.

On digital the 18-250 might be a better fit for a single lens. Pentax no longer makes that lens but the DA 18-250 is often available used. Sigma also makes one that is very similar.

If you have digital and never need wide-angle and 28mm is good then that lens is fine, just wanted to make you aware of the difference in FOV between the two formats.
05-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have a Pentax KX. This is my first Digital camera. I am new to interchangeable lenses. I am looking to upgrade from my kit lens. I want to be able to have a good everyday lens that will allow me to take both landscape photos and macro photos. I am hoping to have a great lens for a Tahoe trip in June.

05-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree that 28mm is not the widest on the K-x. However my 'landscape' shots are usually done with 31mm. But I admit that it is not the focal length to capture wide vistas in one go. If you buy the 28-300, I suggest that you take the kit lens with you as well for those situations where you want wider. Lens swapping will be limited to just those situations where you need it. If that defeats the purpose, look at something else like 18-250.

The Tamron 28-300 lens is not a real macro lens with (only) 1:3.7 magnification (source: PentaxForums.com Tamron AF 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 LD Aspherical IF Marco); the kit lens is better from that perspective with roughly 1:3 magnification. For close ups of e.g. flowers, it will be suitable.
05-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Swapping lenses is just one of those things you do... Some lenses excell at particular jobs but fall on others... A 'do it all' lens usually makes sacrifices in terms of image quality (although if you come straight from compact cameras there's likely to still be increase) zooms with more limited range generally perform better - The Pentax kit lens is is much less of a dog than the CaNikon versions - And fixed focal length lenses (primes) tend to peform even better (and are often faster too)

My everyday lens - is 4 lenses (and I recently bought 2 more) Tamron17-50, FA28, FA50 & DA50-200 (+ FA35 & D-FA100macro) Usually I have the 50 on the camera to start and go from there... If I'm at an event and have no idea what's going on the tamron goes on camera...

For me the DA50-200 gets little use as I simply don't shoot long.... But it is useful to have in the bag...

The FA35 is still pretty new to me but I anticipate using the Tamron17-50 (which in both speed and IQ is an upgrade from the kit-lens) less now that I have it...

The D-FA100 (samsung variant) I bought specifically for macro and candid portrait stuff... 1/1 is macro - anything else is really just close focusing and won't provide that pop you want...

It's going to come down to where (in terms of both location & focal length) you shoot... 28 may not be wide enough and 300 may be longer than you need... It may however suit you perfectly....

The other question to ask is: - Is the lens going to be fast enough to deal with your demands on it?
Do you shoot in low-light - indoors?
Is subject separation an important issue to you?

Good luck! :-)

Dave
05-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mlmessersmith Quote
I have a Pentax KX. This is my first Digital camera. I am new to interchangeable lenses. I am looking to upgrade from my kit lens. I want to be able to have a good everyday lens that will allow me to take both landscape photos and macro photos. I am hoping to have a great lens for a Tahoe trip in June.
If you switch from the kit lens to the 28-200, you give up the ability to take any wide angle photos at all (the 18-28 range) and trade it for the ability to take more telephoto pictures (the 55-200 range). Unless your trip is wildlife safari, that,s a huge downgrade, not an upgrade. Most people would shoot much more in the 18-28 range than the 55-200 range.

As for macro, it's a zoom, menaing it's only kind of sort a macro. So is the kit lens. You would gain very little in that department. Plus, I doubt bugs in Tahoe look that different from bugs wherever you live. But if you really need slightly larger pictures of very small objects, you could do better with something like the Raynox 250 that attaches to the front of your existing lens. Or just crop a little - again, there would not be much difference in the closeup abilitties of these lenses anyhow. (and just noticed from the specs posted, the 8-200 is actually *worse*, not better, than the kit lens in that department)
05-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My widest lens is the bottom end of my 24-50 and with APSC I wish I had wider, the 35 in my 35-105 was totally not enough, so I agree with above.

What I would add is the ton of compromises that have to be built into a lens to cover that huge a range, most notable the fact that it is a variable aperture lens with a painfully slow F6.3 top end. This may not be an issue if you have a magical high ISO wonder camera like the K5, for the rest of us its a real irritation. There is a loss of image quality also but that is debatable whether its even worth mentioning and varies from lens to lens.

I only buy FF lenses with aperture rings because I use old film cameras with them also and will eventually get a FF DSLR, but that is perhaps not relevant for you.

My best suggestion for the minimum number of lenses is to get 2 really high end (fast fixed aperture) zooms, one for the bottom half, and one for the mid to upper range.
Or for you, maybe that lens and a fast wide to mid zoom.

I would need more info on your camera and budget to make any really intelligent suggestions though.

05-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're shooting indoors, you'll find that 28mm is pretty restrictive. It's all about learning, and figuring out what your style is. Now, when I'm walking around the neighborhood, I usually have the 55-300 or 18-135 on the camera. I take pictures of birds more than people, and I'll turn the camera on any small aircraft flying overhead. Your requirements may be much different.

Indoors I'll use the 16-45 most often, but I don't really have enough experience with the 18-135 to decide whether I'm willing to make that swap just yet. The FA100 Macro gets plenty of camera time, too. Yes, I change lenses a lot.