Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #1

50mm 1.7 rear element yellowish haze

Got a Pentax M 50mm 1.7 from local flea market. Clean all the fungus on the front & rear element by following helpful instruction on this forum. Really helpful and thanks.

Anyone can help to get rid of these yellowish haze at the rear element, its in between 2 glass and I think it glued together?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 600D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 600D  Photo 
05-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
if this is an element of two lenses from the rear as it shown on a sheme on a link - than the haze is a lens separation. In such case, unfortunetely, there is nothing that could be done. I had similar issue with SMC 55/1.8 - it is a group of two lenses glued together.
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/_optics/50f1.7.gif
This haze most probably would not affect hte image quality.
Sorry for the bad news.
Yuriy
05-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen three examples of the 1.7 and all of these had blurred rear elements attributed to lens separation. it seems that this is an inherent weakness of the 1.7 lens. two of these lenses were given to me but were useless.
05-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
May I ask what did you use to clean the fungus, and if the haze is not actually on the lens surface?

05-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
In such case, unfortunetely, there is nothing that could be done.
If, indeed, there is separation, the group elements can be re-cemented by a good tech, though it is probably not worth the trouble or expense. To be honest, I must echo kcobain1992...what did you use to remove the fungus. If the infestation was bad enough to etch the coatings (usually the case) removing the fungus will likely result in damage to the coatings or even the glass itself. I have seen two lenses in the last month where this was the case.

As for the M 50/1.7 being prone to rear element separation...that is a new one for me. I have been active here for several years and have never heard of such a thing. Fungus growing in the balsam cement, yes...separation, no.

BTW...to the OP...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve

(...has one way to deal with fungus...immediate removal to sealed plastic bag...thorough hand washing and cleaning of work area...deposit in trash or send back to seller...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-05-2012 at 06:20 PM.
05-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
I use moniter cleaner which did quite a good job to the rest of the lens. The haze is in between the 2 glass lens so probably its the cement getting hazy. may b will try to seperate n re cement myself?

Yup best way to deal w fungus......back to seller. Unfortunately cant return.

Thanks for the warm wecome!