Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #1

Pentax 67 TTL metering in auto and manual

Hi,

I have a probably very basic newbie question about how to use the meter of my Pentax 67 TTL pentaprism correctly with the lens in manual and auto mode. I'm a little confused here since the meter is showing different readings according to what mode I am in (that is it reads more light when in auto mode)... and I am not sure if this is right..

So, basically, do I have to meter the light in manual mode to get a proper reading and only set the lens to auto if I want to set the focus with a brighter viewfinder? Or should I be able to have the lens in auto mode all the time, and get correct light metering from the pentaprism? (probably not, right?)

I guess this is a very stupid, basic question for all veteran users

H

05-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Den
Veteran Member

The lens needs to be set in AUTO mode for the prism to read correctly.
Go here for the manual: http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/download-details/579

Last edited by Den; 05-06-2012 at 06:25 AM.
05-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Hello H,

It is good to check with the manual as Den points out, but the difference in readings is sometimes due to either a slightly oxidized contact either under the prism or inside the camera where the voltage is activated from the pin inside the release pin. Depending on age and use, it is possible that one half of the meter is showing signs of component failure. Usually the AUTO side is likely to go out first. The difference you mentioned, have you check to see which side seems correct?
05-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks to both of you.
Ok, Auto setting it is. I compared with another light meter and the readings seem to be correct in AUTO mode.
But then, what is MAN mode for? The manual said, it's for use with accessories between body and lens that require stop-down metering. I have no idea what that might be.. But maybe I don't need to, since - obviously - I don't have such accessories ...

BTW, Mystery Onion, I'm still working on that on/off switch. I will be back home this week and have my measuring and soldering equipment... So hopefully I will be able to fix this. It still doesn't switch off no matter what mode I'm in. I can't really do anything but to take out the battery - and leave it out of the camera for quite some time, otherwise it will be on again as soon I put the battery back in. (Taking off the lens, switches it off as well, but the same here, as soon as the lens is back on again, the meter is on ... :evil:

05-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
and by the way, it's a considerable difference in reading ... getting bigger the higher the f-stop number
05-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

bienemaya, the meter still stays on if you pop off the TTL and back on?
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
oh, I haven't checked that.. The camera is at a friend's at the moment, who knows his way around electronics and soldering components far better than me. Do you happen to have any schematics of the TTL's circuit board?
05-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Only use the manual mode if you are using a lens with a manual diaphragm (400mm, 600mm Takumar etc.) or using the helicoid extension tube.

05-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
Giveaway winner!

bienemaya, I have not an up to date info copy of the first version of the camera and first version of the TTL. I'm currently mapping the circuits myself, but have not the time to finish. If your friend is good with electronics, could you ask him what he thinks the BA705 is for? It looks like a regulator or amplifier, but I have yet to see it in a flat circuit layout form.

Thanks... sorry I could not help with up to date circuits, but if you would like, I can scan a copy of the old version maybe as a guide.
05-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
MysteryOnion,

I will ask him. Though it might take a while, cause I don't know when he will have time for my TTL and he usually does electronics for audio gear..
If you could scan me a copy of the old version, that would be really great!
05-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
Giveaway winner!

I'll start scanning and let you know when ready.
05-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #12

The camera's battery is 6V, so BA705 indeed sounds like a regulator (5V).

Found this:
"The BA705 is an advanced lamp current feedback dimming control IC. This ballast control IC provides all of the necessary features to implement wide range dimming control, soft start and constant power consumption for intelligent electronic ballast systems. ..."

Will have to look more closely for a datasheet.
05-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
Giveaway winner!

Thanks WillyTheBee, I've looked a few months back and never found it, however the data sheet is still hard to find.
05-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #14

I looked around and can't find the data sheet either. MysteryOnion, if you happen to find it (could even be in Japanese), please let us know. I read Japanese, so that shouldn't be a problem.
05-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Giveaway winner!

I sure will. Thanks