Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Kx AF/MF switch issue

I am thinking f buying a Kx for my 6 yr old, she is really great with a camera, just needs practice. I can get a used Kx for next to nothibg but the AF/MF swith is locked in MF but still AF lenses fubction with it as if in AF mode. I would like to get it repaired. Has anyone had this problm, and was it expensive to fix? I don't want to get a great deal on a used camera only to spend a mint fixing it.

05-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is she ever going to use manual focus? If not, then use it and get it fixed when/if the issue arises. k-x is perfect for a youngster due to the light weight but I think it will still get a few knocks about. I shudder to think what it would have looked like after a few weeks with either of my two kids at that age.
05-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi dnd,
Here is a photo of AF/MF switch mechanism on a dead ist ds: i don't know if kx is similar.
https://www.box.com/s/14eb9eda270840c93ea0

The K mount ring can be removed by undoing the 5 screws with a jis driver.
Most of the switch mechanism is then exposed.
The switch pushes the AF drive in and out and when it is retracted, actuates the little gray microswitch.
You might be able to see the problem, it is fairly simple on the ist ds.
You could try to remove the ring in a dust free area and turn the body upside down and blow out the mirror area when finished.

Good luck, here (reposted link) is our 6 yo using the kit lens in AF.
https://www.box.com/s/c362d247a5d1dd92aa44

Actually the M4/3 might be better for a 6yo to handle, here is one he zoomed and composed with the Rikenon manual zoom on Sunday
https://www.box.com/s/86b89d6375e55657d5ec