Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Another factor to consider is the viewfinder. Viewfinders on AF SLRs aren't all that great for manual focusing, especially with fast lenses. The K-x has Live View while the K2000 does not.
O.K. I'm really going to show my ignorance here. By "AF," I assume you mean "auto focus"? I've never had a camera with an auto focus capability, so the manual focus is fine by me. Like I said...."Time has passed me by!"

05-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

@RioRico, speaking of cheap lenses, check this one out. A Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Lens nib with caps, hood, case docs etc for $20.50 shipped. I know the smart thing to do would be to sell it and get a contax lens if thats what I want (I could probably sell the hood alone for $20.50) but there is still that little devil on my shoulder trying to convince me I could hack it onto my pentax (all manual of course). I guess a much cheaper contax lens would do the same though.

Sorry, off topic a bit.
05-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
O.K. I'm really going to show my ignorance here. By "AF," I assume you mean "auto focus"? I've never had a camera with an auto focus capability, so the manual focus is fine by me. Like I said...."Time has passed me by!"
Yea he means auto focus. I am growing to really like manual lenses (in some circumstances) but its nice to have both capabilities. If you don't have to have the hottest lenses out there you can get some decent enough AF lenses on ebay pretty cheap (typically older full frame film lenses but they work just fine).

I have found that even with AF lenses I like to set exposure myself but as far as auto focus, in some situations, its capable of reacting much faster than I am humanly capable of (could be my lack of experience but its still the case).
05-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dewman welcome. As far as the craigslist deal I think you should hold off and try to find a k-x which can be had for the same price.
I picked up a used k2000 for about 225 a year and a half ago.
Subsequently sold it to get a used K-x for 350 and the sensor is far better than the k2000 for low light/ high ISO.
The body form factor of the k-x is the same, and it also adds video.

05-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
@RioRico, speaking of cheap lenses, check this one out. A Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Lens nib with caps, hood, case docs etc for $20.50 shipped. I know the smart thing to do would be to sell it and get a contax lens if thats what I want (I could probably sell the hood alone for $20.50) but there is still that little devil on my shoulder trying to convince me I could hack it onto my pentax (all manual of course). I guess a much cheaper contax lens would do the same though.
That's what I would do. Immediately. That Zeiss shouldn't be chopped. If you can leverage it for something choppable, go for it!
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That's what I would do. Immediately. That Zeiss shouldn't be chopped. If you can leverage it for something choppable, go for it!
I'm thinking of taking it and another to a camera shop for consignment. Its a bit of a drive or i would have already stopped by and got their opinion on what they thought they might get for it. There is always craigs list but I'm thinking I'll avoid ebay on such a high value item. I don't have the feedback as seller to not be a scammed magnet. In the long run If I can not sell it for a good price then I might consider conversion (non destructive reversible conversion).
05-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Of course flash can work in some situations but the high iso works in all situations
I think you got that wrong I don't deny the benefits of the high ISO performance of my K5, but in extremer situations flash can get you what current high ISO can't. I still benefit from a flash on a K5.
05-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I've been "into" digital photography for about six years, although on a very marginal basis. My original camera was a 3.2 MP Olympus . A great little camera for the money, albeit very basic. It was a good start to introduce me into the digital world. Being a very organized person....a prerequisite as a construction project manager....I have a very good system for managing my photos. Thumb drives are wonderful for this. I have since "moved up" to a 14MP Olympus VR-310. A nice camera for the money, with a lot of nice features and definitely a step up....but it's not a DSLR!

I have two Pentax ME Super bodies.

My current Pentax lenses consist of a f/1.2 50mm SMC, a f/1.4 50mm SMC, a f/2.5, 135mm Takumar and a f/4.5, 80-200mm Pentax M.

As far as "other lenses," I have a f/3.5, 28-80mm JCP, a f/3.5, 28-80mm Promaster, a f/4.5, 75-200mm Five Star, a f/4.5, 80-200mm JCP and a 2x Tele-converter JCP.

Which, if any, could be used on a Pentax DSLR?

While I'm asking questions....what's your opinion on a Pentax K2000? There's one on Craig's List locally for $400 OBO. It comes with two Pentax lenses....a f/3.5-5.6, 18-55mm and a f/4-5.6, 50-200mm. The package includes the original box, a ProMaster Bag and a 2GB SD Card. Is this good, bad, yes, no, so-so or no-no?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Dewman

Welcome to the forum, as pointed out lots of people here to give you answers and some may even know what they are talking about
some nice lenses there, if you can use them on the me you can use them on the new cameras. the CL price is so so. used the 15-55 goes for under $100, the 50-200 maybe 125-150. neither is particularly special but they will give you AF to work with
reviews are in the section below
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
the 2000 is getting pretty dated at this point as well. If you want to save a bit and still have good performance the Kx as mentioned is a good little camera. If you want performance that will let you ignore new cameras for a few years the K5 is a far better bet, even a couple of years after release it's not been eclipsed on performance (I wish I had bought it instead of saving a little and getting my K7 because i wouldn't be yearning for a new camera like I am now)
Operationally really it's not that different than using your old gear for taking the picture (sure there are improvements in some areas but the theory is functionally the same
The big difference is in developing. Think of a raw photo as your negative and your software (IE lightroom or whatever) as your darkroom Adobe raw is called DNG ie Digital negative for a reason)

05-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I think you got that wrong I don't deny the benefits of the high ISO performance of my K5, but in extremer situations flash can get you what current high ISO can't. I still benefit from a flash on a K5.
You got me there. Perhaps what I was thinking but didn't quite say right is high iso will help you with low light to some extent (basically making all your glass faster) in any circumstance but in some circumstances its not enough. Under some circumstances the high iso is not going to be enough where a flash might be enough. Of course there are plenty of circumstances where a flash won't help you out much but the high iso will too. There is no reason not to have both though (if the op can afford a k-x which I gather they can).

Ultimately for the original poster I would worry about the camera for now and flash later. I'm not discounting the value of flash or having an external on top of the internal (I have several externals). Once you buy a camera body with lesser high iso performance you are stuck with it (you can not just add it without getting a new body). A flash can always be gotten later and there are plenty that can be had cheap. I would very much recommend at least a simple external flash but its not something the op really has to worry about right away (he may have flashes from his old film cameras that are low enough voltage to work).

@op, a few have mentioned the k-5. While my knowledge is limited about it (out of my price range so no reason to look at it much), from what I gather it is the better choice hands down. Problem is, it's twice the cost. If you have no issues with throwing down 1000$ plus for the body (give or take, haven't looked close at pricing), get the k-5. For half the money give or take, the k-x is your best bet if that is what fits into your budget and its supposed to be a great camera. Even if you could afford the k-5, if its at the high end of your budget, I would think the k-x plus other accessories (lenses, flash etc.) might be best but others that know more about the k-5 would be able to give a more qualified response there.
05-10-2012, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter

Dewman,
Welcome!
I was in your shoes just about a year ago. I still have my old ME Super (still in good working order) and some old manual lenses. I used it from time to time...till about just over a year ago...it happened.... I bought a K-r and found this forum. I'm pleased to report that all my old lenses work just fine with the K-r and other Pentax DSLR's, which was one of the reasons I jumped in with the K-r...but I've found that auto focus with my kit lenses to be "real convenient". I got used to AF real quick like... I consider myself a newbie so I'm in no position to offer advice other than I can guarantee that you will enjoy jumping in with both feet because digital allows for much more experimentation without the worry of the cost of film and film processing.

Be carefull, however...LBA, as others have noted, is hard to resist once you start taking photos and reading these forums and checking out all the lens reviews and seeing the photos posted by the fine folks in the forum...I confess, after using my K-r with kit lenses and fooling around with my old lenses for the first year, I finally succumbed to LBA and have acquired two prime lenses....gulp....and I recently entered my first submission for last month's photo contest....

Take your time...pick your camera body...attach your lenses....and before you know it....you'll be entering the photos contests, posting photos...in other words...your life is about to change....I'm serious...

05-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

As a quick note, for the old technical photographers I think Pentax is unique. The K5/7/20/10 are really set up for technical shooters. I think the 7/5 ergonomics are better than the 10/20 and lets the user fully manually control the camera.

You'll enjoy it, I'm sure all the photography mojo will come streaming back.
05-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm thinking of taking it and another to a camera shop for consignment. Its a bit of a drive or i would have already stopped by and got their opinion on what they thought they might get for it. There is always craigs list but I'm thinking I'll avoid ebay on such a high value item. I don't have the feedback as seller to not be a scammed magnet. In the long run If I can not sell it for a good price then I might consider conversion (non destructive reversible conversion).
You can sell it (the CZ) on Craigslist for $500 - get paid either in cash or if a remote sale via pay pal. If you touch (chop) the lens it will loose its value. You can get a lot of great K mount glass for that amount, depending on what you are looking for.

05-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You can sell it (the CZ) on Craigslist for $500 - get paid either in cash or if a remote sale via pay pal. If you touch (chop) the lens it will loose its value. You can get a lot of great K mount glass for that amount, depending on what you are looking for.

I've also got a canon fd vivitar 90mm 2.5 bokina that I have been sitting on for a while so its about time for them both to go up and I think I'll try craigslist first. I have been waiting for the zeiss to drop off of ebays completed listings search though to lessen the chance of someone interested seeing one go so cheap.

@Dewman, that vivitar I want to sell goes to show how some of that old manual glass is still well regarded in the digital age. That one has developed a reputation and even a nickname and might sell for as much as 300$ in k mount despite being a couple of decades old (mine is canon fd mount which is worth a little less but still valuable). The really nice thing is there is a lot of great glass that has not got that reputation driving the price up and you can get a lot or great manual lenses on ebay for 10 cents on the dollar used (a lot less if you adjust for inflation). Its getting to where even some auto focus lenses have been around long enough and there are enough floating around you can score some pretty hot deals on auto focus lenses too.
05-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonyr99 Quote
Dewman,
Welcome!

Take your time...pick your camera body...attach your lenses....and before you know it....you'll be entering the photos contests, posting photos...in other words...your life is about to change....I'm serious...

Thanks for the kind words Tony. I'm glad to be getting back into photography after such a long layoff. However, I seriously doubt if I'll be entering any photos in the contests here. From what I've seen, it's a matter of others offering THEIR opinion of what THEY think is good. I've looked around the forum and seen many, MANY photos that were rejected....and looked at some that were considered "worthy" and I'm just not into that scene. I disagree with a great many of their choices. It's all a matter of personal taste. I take photos for myself, not for others to judge. I'm my own worst critic. My likes and dislikes are MY OWN and not for others to question, approve, disapprove or judge. I outgrew the need for an "atta boy" many years ago. I'm here to ask questions about the technical side of digital photography. That's all.

To offer some insight into my personal tastes, I never cared for Salvador Dali's work. Same with Andy Warhol and Frank Loydd Wright. All three are considered masters of their chosen field....but that's the opinion of OTHERS.
On the other hand, I love Andrew Wyeth's work, he and his son alike.....especially the "Helga collection." And Pink Floydd, Leon Redbone and Tangerine Dream.

My flame suit is always nearby.....and so is my sun screen!
05-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was also most into photography in the 1960s, stayed very active into the mid 1980s, then got busy with family and other things, but turned back to photography after I retired a few years ago. Although I like the convenience of digital, I still prefer the experience of using film cameras - with one exception: the Leica M9. It's the one digital that can be used exactly like my old film cameras: manual focus lenses with aperture rings, shutter speed dial, and optical rangefinder/viewfinder. I blew my retirement bonus on one. I'll keep it until it's left in my will. I also have a Pentax K-5 because of all my legacy lenses, and it has a nice feel and turns out great results. But I enjoy using an LX or MX much more when I need an SLR.
So, a warning: don't try out an M9, or an M9M (the new B&W only version). They're addictive to us old guys, and very hard on the bank account. I still wish Pentax would make a digital LX...