Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time has passed me by!

Having been a Navy photographer way back in the late 60's, I THOUGHT I was STILL a photographer! I think I still have the artistic attributes and I'm pretty good at composition and fairly good at discerning angles, lighting, timing and so forth, but man oh man, time has really passed me by....and I need help!

After my discharge in '67, I worked for Lockheed as a photographer of sorts. I worked in the lab photographing mechanical drawings and reducing them down dramatically so that they could actually be used as electrical circuits. Yep. They used the silver in the negatives as the conductor. It was the early stages of miniature circuitry.

After a couple of years of that, I went into construction and remained in that field for 40+ years, until my retirement five years ago. I've decided to get back into photography. Not that I totally gave up on it, but it was just sort of a once in a while thing. I bought a 3.2MP digital camera a few years back and immediately loved it. The editing ability blew my mind! I put my old ME Super away and basically forgot about it.

OK. Now, down to the point of this post. I've decided to dive back into photography in a big way, but I'm finding out that I'm at a total loss as to the "modern day" terms, equipment available, and all that comes with it. I was thinking that film photography was the way to go, but I'm quickly finding out that digital is more likely what I need to be concentrating on. So....I have questions. LOTS of questions! Where do I ask these questions? Is there a specific forum to ask them?

Thanks for your patience. I will greatly appreciate any and all information any of you can provide.
Dewman
Nampa, Idaho

05-08-2012, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! Photography was my job in the US Army back in the mid 1970s, but I started young (I just about grew up in my dad's small darkroom) and have slid back into it in the last decade. Where to ask questions? Wherever they seem appropriate. Once you get used to the forum structure, it's pretty easy to figure out what goes where, and friendly moderators will gladly assist. You have questions? We have answers! Some are even rational. First, of course, we'll have to make sure that you're thoroughly infected with LBA (Lens Buying Addiction Adrenaline). Can't never have enough lenses, y'know. Have fun!
05-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatch out for that RioRico fellow, he'll get you searching for lenses and equipment you never new existed. Then you'll find out how much he snagged them for after you announce what you snagged yours for, and you'll be shocked at the discrepancy. That guy can get stuff CHEAP.

As he said, once you get used to the forum, it should start coming together. In general, though, I can't think of a better place for Pentax specific photography advice, and i've learned everything I know about general photography, thus far, from here as well. Then, that might not be saying much...
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dewman, as Rio pointed out, there's lots of folks here who are very opinionated - oops, helpful!!

Seriously, if you are uncertain about what DSLR you want, looks like Idaho Camera in Boise stocks the major brands (and might even have some Pentax cameras). I'd suggest you get the different models in your hands and see what feels right. Do the controls seem to be logically laid out - do your fingers fit on the grip - can you easily adjust what you might want to adjust (shutter speed, iso, f-stop,etc)?

Any of todays DSLR's can/will take excellent photos - YOU need to find one that you're comfortable with. Snap a lot of photos - make sure the different cameras are set up the same - some camera stores will set the in-camera processing controls to "favor" one brand/model over another. Try to ignore the salesperson's biases - they WILL have them. Make sure YOU are comfortable with the camera.

Ask questions in various forums - watch out for the "fan-boys" - all brands have 'em! Good luck with your quest!!

05-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest picking up a used K-x.

Pentax K-x - Digital SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

It's still a very capable camera and would let you adjust to a DSLR. By the time you are ready for an upgrade Pentax will have released new cameras. Assuming you still have your lens(es) from the ME Super you might not even succumb to LBA.

Take a look through my flickr, everything before April 28 was shot with a K-x.
05-08-2012, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I will just say, my amateurish opinion only, that this is an excellent time to get into digital cameras. One might have said this a few years ago, but I would argue that one could have stuck with an existing film SLR, or gotten by with a point and shoot camera, and just waited a few years to invest into a whole dSLR system. The current crop of dSLRs and "mirrorless" cameras really are quite good, for Pentax and other brands, so there's no more reason to wait. In particular, ISO capabilities (and associated noise levels) have finally caught up with what I consider real-world demands. Sure, cameras will continue to get better and cheaper, but you can get yourself something that produces excellent images, to fit the size of your computer screen, at a reasonable (i.e., consumer mass-market) price. Good luck!

Edit: Since you are an experienced photographer, I will make a shameless plug for the Pentax K-5, a real photographer's camera! Lots of good manual controls, where they should be.

Last edited by Tanzer; 05-08-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Adding info
05-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Ya, what Tanzer said , I recently bought a K-5 and the wife bought a replacement K-x for one she dropped. Now she's always talking about her K-5. Mine no longer exists apparently. I won't say you can't go with a K-x , but as Bob Harris says," the K-5 makes me think I'm a photographer." The images are simply stunningly rich. I find myself looking at pictures taken with our other bodies thinking "this would have been so much better if I'd taken it with the K-5". I just bought one, I already need another one.

05-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dewman,

Your photographic skills will transfer and probably put you ahead of many. One area that you might want to study up on though is what is often called the "digital workflow". With film you put slides and prints in boxes or trays and had some system of organizing and finding images. IMHO this is the biggest change in going digital. And I see it all the time, even with younger folks that supposedly are computer savvy. They take pictures, but fail to keyword and organize them properly and therefore lose track of them. They have images scattered across 2 or 3 computers, a cell phone and tablet and maybe an external drive or two, and no idea what is where. Part of the problem is that it is too easy to take pictures, with film you watched every shot, because it cost money, with digital it is too easy to just bang away.

Digital workflow is what happens after you take the shot. How does that image get uploaded to the computer, post processed, key worded, titled and captioned, stored on the computer and backups made. What software is used to do that? What system are you using to organize things on the computer? How and when are backups made? This isn't the fun part, that's why they call it 'workflow' but it is vital to being able to enjoy your images a year from now.

Anyway, I hope you give that some thought while you are learning about the fun stuff like camera bodies and lenses.

What lenses do you have with that ME Super? You do know they can still be used on modern Pentax cameras right?

Just noticed where you are from, I drive through there on business several times a year. As things go out here we are practically neighbors.

Best,
John
05-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Dewman,

Anyway, I hope you give that some thought while you are learning about the fun stuff like camera bodies and lenses.

What lenses do you have with that ME Super? You do know they can still be used on modern Pentax cameras right?

Best,
John
I've been "into" digital photography for about six years, although on a very marginal basis. My original camera was a 3.2 MP Olympus . A great little camera for the money, albeit very basic. It was a good start to introduce me into the digital world. Being a very organized person....a prerequisite as a construction project manager....I have a very good system for managing my photos. Thumb drives are wonderful for this. I have since "moved up" to a 14MP Olympus VR-310. A nice camera for the money, with a lot of nice features and definitely a step up....but it's not a DSLR!

I have two Pentax ME Super bodies.

My current Pentax lenses consist of a f/1.2 50mm SMC, a f/1.4 50mm SMC, a f/2.5, 135mm Takumar and a f/4.5, 80-200mm Pentax M.

As far as "other lenses," I have a f/3.5, 28-80mm JCP, a f/3.5, 28-80mm Promaster, a f/4.5, 75-200mm Five Star, a f/4.5, 80-200mm JCP and a 2x Tele-converter JCP.

Which, if any, could be used on a Pentax DSLR?

While I'm asking questions....what's your opinion on a Pentax K2000? There's one on Craig's List locally for $400 OBO. It comes with two Pentax lenses....a f/3.5-5.6, 18-55mm and a f/4-5.6, 50-200mm. The package includes the original box, a ProMaster Bag and a 2GB SD Card. Is this good, bad, yes, no, so-so or no-no?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Dewman

05-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some nice lenses - specially that 1.2 50!! Any and all will work with any of the Pentax DSLRs - if they fit the ME Super, they'll fit the DSLR.

As to the kit you mentioned - seems high to me. If you're going used in that price range, I'd look for a K200D with lens(es) or maybe a nice, low shutter count K20D. Check the Marketplace for lots of good deals.
05-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
My current Pentax lenses consist of a f/1.2 50mm SMC, a f/1.4 50mm SMC, a f/2.5, 135mm Takumar and a f/4.5, 80-200mm Pentax M.

As far as "other lenses," I have a f/3.5, 28-80mm JCP, a f/3.5, 28-80mm Promaster, a f/4.5, 75-200mm Five Star, a f/4.5, 80-200mm JCP and a 2x Tele-converter JCP.

Which, if any, could be used on a Pentax DSLR?
All of them; no adapters needed. Using such PK-mount manual lenses on a dSLR is pretty easy, though you won't have complete aperture automation. Somebody here will post a link to the sticky on using manual lenses. Also, older zooms might not be entirely satisfactory for you, but I won't advise on replacing them. When you get a dSLR, shoot them and see what you think.

QuoteQuote:
While I'm asking questions....what's your opinion on a Pentax K2000? There's one on Craig's List locally for $400 OBO. It comes with two Pentax lenses....a f/3.5-5.6, 18-55mm and a f/4-5.6, 50-200mm. The package includes the original box, a ProMaster Bag and a 2GB SD Card. Is this good, bad, yes, no, so-so or no-no?
I haven't used the K2000 but it's well liked. Click on CAMERAS in the menu line to see reviews. US$400 doesn't sound like a bad package price if the camera is in good shape. Those autofocus kit lenses are worth maybe US$150 and are a good place to start with AF. But you might be able to get a much newer camera plus one lens for about that much. With most dSLR bodies, newer *IS* better. Good luck!
05-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I gather from the last time I mentioned this that many do not think this is as important as I do but if it is within your budget, the k-x has better high iso performance than the k2000 does and to me that is an important feature. While it may have other pluses over the k2000 this is the one that seems very functional and important to me. Sure you have some fast glass already but it will basically make all your glass faster. When you see the cost of fast auto focus glass, you will see the importance.

I do not own either by the way and my information is based on information from others. I have an ist-ds (which has even worse iso performance than those 2) and hope to upgrade to the k-x for that reason. I'm on a tight budget too (and I seem to waste money on other things like lba rather than saving) so I can understand if it is out of your budget but its worth considering. Its established that the k-x performs better at high iso so the question is would that matter to you. Here is a comparison I just stumbled on

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Vs K-m (K2000) ISO Measurbation

Of course flash can work in some situations but the high iso works in all situations (be careful of older flashes, check to make sure they are not high voltage).

Just my 2 cents worth and my feelings after researching which to upgrade to if I ever save up the money.

Don't get me wrong though. Even my old ist-ds is a great camera despite being a rather old 6mp camera and it has taken some great pics. It does the job just fine. The only aspect where I have found it lacking and wanted more was iso performance. Otherwise even it can do a great job in most circumstances with some low light situations being its only major limitation to me (partially compensated for by the fact that I have several flashes but I will still upgrade to the k-x or k-r eventually for the high iso).

Last edited by ripit; 05-08-2012 at 08:22 PM.
05-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another factor to consider is the viewfinder. Viewfinders on AF SLRs aren't all that great for manual focusing, especially with fast lenses. The K-x has Live View while the K2000 does not.
05-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
If that is a f/1.2 50mm (and not the far more common f/2) then you have a real keeper. That is a very prized lens, and worth quite a bit. The f/1.4 is also well thought of.
The Takumar would require an adapter, or is that the k-mount takumar? Probably the bayonet Takumar, so no adapter needed. If so, it is not rated very well at all, though I have one and think it works just fine. The problem is the coatings, the lens is very prone to flare unless you are careful where to point it, as in not at the sun. I do not know much about the 80-200 but in general zooms of that era are not as good as modern ones. The reverse is sometimes true of the primes though. Your 2 50's will definitely hold their own.

Don't know anything about the third party lenses but there is a lens review database here on the forum look at the top, under Lenses > Third-Party Reviews. SOme of yours might be listed there.
Not sure about the k2000, the price seems in the ball park but you can get a k-r for not much more, or a used k-x for that amount. Both are much newer cameras than the K2000.
05-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Another factor to consider is the viewfinder. Viewfinders on AF SLRs aren't all that great for manual focusing, especially with fast lenses. The K-x has Live View while the K2000 does not.
Very good point. Another option on either (though I would still go with the k-x) is replacing the focusing screen with a split prism focusing screen. If you find you favor some of the good old manual glass its an option. The camera will tell you when it is in focus but as always with technology, its not perfect all the time. Live view sounds like a nice feature to have reguardless.