Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

Taking your camera to the beach:

Hello all,

Question to K5 or K7 owners: Do you take your camera to the beach and have it out in the wind/sand? I am currently a Kx owner but thinking of upgrading to a camera with weather sealing. I haven't taken my current camera to the beach b/c i've been worried about getting sand in it and ruining it. With the K5/K7 being weather sealed would you have any hesitation bringing it to the beach with you and risk getting sand particles in/aroudn it? WHat about after you leave and want to switch lenses -- any hesitation or special handling you would do?

I realize these are probably dumbe questions, but humor me!

05-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

To tell the truth I've had my Kx in very dusty conditions and had no problems, but I made sure to NOT even think of taking the lens off. As far as my K5 I would have no hesitation about taking it to the beach, but I would avoid a lens change unless you get in your car or something, then make sure to keep it pointing downward while doing the swap. The K5 with a weather sealed lens is something I'd even take outside in light drizzle (and I have) so some spray from the wind at the beach is just fine. I've even heard of people cleaning salt spray from the K5 and WR lens combo by dumping a little water on it and toweling it off!
05-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am K20D owner. Took my camera to a beach...sand is not a big deal it sticks to the camera body , it sticks to the view finder, it is everywhere... the bigger issue is that the air is saturated by salt water and it gets right inside the camera if you are changing the lens...
verdict...you can take your camera to the beach and then enjoy cleaning it of the sand, but try avoiding changing the lens...by the way, zoom lens will be even worse, because it sucks air while zooming...
05-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I take my K-5 to the beach often. If it's not windy, there's no problem with any camera or lens, unless you want to get in the water. With wind, the 18-135 WR lens is a good addition. I suppose the WR kit lens would be too. I don't have that. I always take a soft microfiber cloth to wipe the camera down. I also use my K-5 in a canoe, where it always gets a little wet. I always take a soft microfiber cloth to wipe the camera down. I also take a small spray bottle of fresh water that I use if I get salt water on the camera. I spray the camera off, then wipe it down. No problems so far (year and a half). Remember that water resistant doesn't mean waterproof. Salt is not good for electronics or much of anything. A little fresh water to clean the camera and lens off after a day on the beach won't hurt anything.

Obviously, you don't want to change lenses when it's blowing sand or dust, beach or no.

05-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Take it to the beach? I take it into the surf

05-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Twitch, thats with a K-X right?
Courage!
05-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Twitch, thats with a K-X right?
Courage!
Ha, don't know about courage. That one was taken with a K-5 & DA15 (so I was actually much closer than it seems), but yeah I did the same thing with a K-x numerious times before...
05-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of things to consider here, post beach.

First of all, there is a comment by mysticcowboy and VoiceOfReason about cleaning your gear with water afterwards. I would offer some points of advise here,
- If you had a filter on the lens, i would be to wash the filter separate from the lens
- if you don't use filters, then blow the entire camera off prior to wiping anything, and if there is sand or grit stuck to any surface, that will not blow off, use a very soft fine brush to sweep it away. FOr lenses use a brush that is only used on lenses and has never been touched by hands, because skin oil will transfer to the lens leaving a smear.
- do not wipe a lens element or filter with a cloth as the first part of cleaning under any circumstances, because any grit on the lens can and will scratch the coatings.
- if you use water, don't overdo it. There was a post shortly after the K7 came out, where someone complained that his camera stopped working after the 50th day of use, due to getting wet, because his cleaning process involved washing the camera witl lens attached in the kitchen sink. WR is Weather Resistant, NOT water proof.

second, if the camera gets wet, blot as opposed to wipe. wiping can as noted above, lead to grit scratching the surface. Wiping can also force water into spaces it was not already, and can in some cases put enough pressure on seals to push water past them.

Once the water has been blotted away, let the camera dry and blow/brush away any residue. Only use a damp cloth where residue does not blow away.

05-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Have had various SLR/DSLRs to the beach over the years (hmmm...just trying to think about it: EOS-3 EOS-1v, T90, D60, 30D, 7E, A-1, AE-1, Nikon F90,...) and never had a problem, or worried all that much. Planning on using the K-5 BIG TIME this vacation too.

Common sense stuff like using the neck strap so you don't drop it in the sand or surf, not handing it over to the little kids so THEY can drop it in the sand or surf (same goes with binoculars and kindles), keep it covered/protected when not in use from blowing sand, not switching lenses in a sand storm, not smoking cigars and using the camera at the same time , etc. etc.

After use, Lowell has covered just fine!

Anyway - LOTS of great photo ops at the ocean - shame not enjoy your gear trying to capture them!

Last edited by jmg257; 05-11-2012 at 09:51 AM.
05-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I have a Kx with a Tamron 28-300 mm lens and used it in the Moroccan Sahara a few months ago. I was caught in a sandstorm and tried my best to tuck the camera under my jacket. I later found that the focussing ring had developed a scratchy noise, due to some sand particles that had lodged in there. It still worked OK but I was worried that it might cause damage if used continuously. The camera itself was fine. Tamron has a 6-year warranty on its lenses and when I found my receipt I saw that I had purchased it 5 years 9 months ago. I took the lens to the Tamron US headquarters on Long Island, NY, where I live, and wondered if the warranty covered damage caused by misuse. They cleaned it and even replaced most of the outer parts of the lens. When returned, the lens had a new number and it was in mint condition. So I think that the camera will be safe for most beach work, but beware of windy conditions that can blow sand into your lens orifices.
05-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have taken both my K-x and my K20D to the beach many times, and changed lenses pretty much every single time. I just make sure to cover the the lens mount. I always have my camera bag with me, and I'll often use the bag (it is a backpack) to shield the camera while I am changing lenses.
05-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I've taken my K5 to the beach... But only in the right conditions though:
- There's NO wind.
- I will NOT switch lenses.
- I'll use my only WR lens, the DA 18-135.
- It's the only time I'll attach a UV filter.

Yes, I'm paranoid, but that's why my K5 with ~85000 shutter actuations looks like it came out of the store yesterday.
05-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, I'm paranoid, but that's why my K5 with ~85000 shutter actuations looks like it came out of the store yesterday.
There's a tough choice we all have to make. One of the nice things about using film was that bodies were cheap (more accurately: there were some cheap bodies available). I personally would rather be able to get the shots I want than to preserve my gear, but I also don't have a body as expensive as the K5, nor any expensive lenses.
05-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

you knew this pic was coming...

I take my K5 to the beach often and cannot really choose when there won't be any wind, fog, spray, etc...so it gets exposed to plenty of water, sand, salt, sun, etc...I also use primes only and change lenses as often as I need to to get the shot, so despite my being careful, i find myself opening the camera while getting blown by some heavy wind once in awhile. When i get home, i blow it out, but yes, some crap flies in for sure.
I'd say it's better to go for it than to leave the camera at home...you don't want to leave it in your hot car either, so better to just tough it out and shoot some pics. good luck!