Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Corrupted image files

Shot a bunch of images with my new K5 with SD card that I didn't reformat after use in my K-X. Lightroom does import, but files don't show and import finishes with "unknown error". I can view the images in Iphoto, but it won't import them either. Suspect corrupted SD card though its always worked in K-Xs. Tried various file recovery software with no luck. Got 27mb (approx) pef files imported to mac with Image Capture, but unable to view them. I can only see them in the Finder.

Help! any ideas would be of great service. Don't want to shoot my son's grad pics again if I can help it.

Thanks!

05-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of file recovery software did you use?

I had a corrupted card once. I was able to save some photographs by running Recuva (Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download) to recover files on the SD card. Recuva is a open access software.

Hope that the info may help.
05-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've only dealt with corrupted cards where the files were lost, not with corrupted images. Having said that, I don't give you much hope for the raw files. With a little luck you might be able to extract the embedded thumbnail.

PDCU4 has the option to extract the embedded thumbnail. exiftool should also be able to do it. At least you have something.

PS:
as you can preview the images, extracting should be possible.

Last edited by sterretje; 05-10-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added PS
05-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote

PS:
as you can preview the images, extracting should be possible.
Probably not. The preview is not the PEF file but the associated JPEG.

One outside possibility might be to put the card in the Kx and try importing via USB.

05-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote

One outside possibility might be to put the card in the Kx and try importing via USB.
I would try that, but you will probably are only going to get the jpg preview. I got corrupted files once by not formatting a new card. I always format the card in camera after unloading pics, never had a problem except that one time with the new card.
05-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Probably not. The preview is not the PEF file but the associated JPEG.
You did not read the full post Or I was not clear but I referred earlier in the post to 'extract the embedded thumbnail'