Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the 35mm limited as the default lens mounted to my camera. It is both tremendously versatile and a joy to use. I personally don't find issues with slow AF. Most of its long focus throw covers the range 14cm to 20cm (i.e. closeup focus distances). When you're shooting at "normal" distances AF is plenty fast. You may find issues if you switch straight from close to far away but that'd be the same for any lens with a long throw (hint: use quick shift). I also find F2.8 to be generally good enough for indoors. Would I like the option of F1.4? You betcha. Do I need it? Not really.

70mm limited is also excellent, although I find the 70cm min. focus distance a little limiting or maybe that's just because I'm used to the 35. 35mm is a rather more useful all-purpose length so I'd go for that first.

100mm WR is lovely, for sure, and on my next-to-buy list. But it's rather long for a first purchase.

I'm guessing that part of the reason that you want limited lenses is because they're small and look good. Well the Sigma 30mm is big and a bit ugly.

Getting the kit lens at the same time does give you the option to take pictures in the rain should you ever need it.

05-12-2012, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a committed limited lens junkie, choosing just one is really tough, but I would probably recommend the FA43.
It is small, fast, has a good focal length for intimate portraits and is the cheapest of the FA limiteds.
It also has pixie dust!

Just be prepared to get more once the seduction starts.
05-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
I'm guessing that part of the reason that you want limited lenses is because they're small and look good. Well the Sigma 30mm is big and a bit ugly.
Sorry but I can't agree with that. See the comparison below vs the 77 Ltd and Tamron 17-50. Fixed hood up the 77 is virtually the same height as the Sigma (which doesn't look at all ugly to me), though slimmer, and the Sigma has a low smallish hood (front right). The Pentax 31 Ltd is as big or bigger than the Sigma !