Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
k2000 kit for $200 - worth it?

I've talked to the guy who has the Pentax K-2000 for sale who originally was asking $400 for the kit. I told him that you guys said it was a bit too high and I had seen the same exact camera kit on eBay for $225. He agreed that he was asking too much and agreed to sell it to me for $200, with the two lenses....IIRC, a 28-80mm and an a 80-200mm. It also comes with a camera bag. I think it's the "kit camera" that Pentax offered. He said that he's only used it on about "10 outings." He has all the original boxes and the receipts.

A good deal? Seems like it to me....and more importantly, it fits my budget! I think, for the time being, it will do all I would expect it to do. Think I should jump on it?

Thanks for any opinions.
Dewman

05-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's a good deal, it fits your budget, and if you decide to sell later, you won't lose money. Go for it!
05-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dewman,

Only you can determine if that fits your needs. The price is good and if you stay with Pentax the lenses will transfer to a new camera. As everyone has already mentioned the k-2000 is a bit dated. But if it fits your budget and lets you learn then that is a good thing. If you try it and feel you need something better I think (assuming it is in good shape) you can get your money back on ebay.

Best,
John
05-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

for that price with the 2 lenses it's a decent deal. gets you started and will be easy enough to sell on if you want better later

05-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It's a good deal, it fits your budget, and if you decide to sell later, you won't lose money. Go for it!
That's exactly what I was thinking. I know there are much better cameras out there, but....for an old retired guy on a fixed income (as in NO GOLDEN PARACHUTE!)....I think it will work fine. My only concern was the fact that it only has 10.2 MP. But, I asked a question about that and got a very good answer, so I called the guy and the deal is signed, sealed and delivered. It's gonna' be in my hot, chubby hands tomorrow. And, all my Pentax bayonet lenses will fit it, right? Those and the other "third party" lenses that will fit my ME Super will also work, right?

I just love it when I get a new toy! And....it ain't even Christmas!

Another "Bucket List" item to be checked off the list! I got a feelin' that that 22 year-old buxom blonde is gonna' be the a hard one, though.
05-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Score! Let us know how it works out for you.

Not sure if you will get that 22 year-old buxom blonde, but if you approach things right, you might be able to at least get pictures of her. And when you do, remember there is a place to post those here on the forums too.
05-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Score! Let us know how it works out for you.

Not sure if you will get that 22 year-old buxom blonde, but if you approach things right, you might be able to at least get pictures of her. And when you do, remember there is a place to post those here on the forums too.
O.K. So just where is this place to post such things? I've got a couple that might be worthy. Nothing to risque', just a booty shot and a boudior (glamor pose) photo of an amazing 62-year-old that'll knock your eyes out! Not even close to X rated....but.... em.... er....uh.... inspiring, to say the least! And yes, I'm a dirty old man! I just cain't hep it, I tell ya'!
05-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
And, all my Pentax bayonet lenses will fit it, right? Those and the other "third party" lenses that will fit my ME Super will also work, right?
Hi Dewman,
The short answer to this is "Yes".
However, they will ONLY support the original lens features. If the lens was an "A" series, on your digital body it will support auto-aperture. An "M" will now (and always, as far as I know) be manual focus, manual aperture and non-TTL. Learn to love the green button!
All will have to have the focus selector switch set to M/F.
Your A/F lenses will support pretty much every shooting mode. There may be a few exceptions. For these lenses, set the focus switch to A/F.
Be advised that the focus indicators (the green hexagon in the viewfinder and the "Beep") aren't foolproof, far from it. Older lenses often need focus correction, you'll find many threads on this problem, here. And a better focusing screen is highly recommended for manual-focus lenses. There are a few aftermarket types available, my favorite is the KatzEye. YMMV.
Good Luck!
Ron

05-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've updated the title of this thread. Please consider using more descriptive titles to help yourself and others.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Dewman, 10MP is wonderful and you should be able to do quite a bit with them. Since going digital, I have found that at times newer is not always better (old glass is wonderful) and certainly more mega pixels are not all that they are cracked up to be. Big fat old pixels can work wonders too.

I still have my old K100 (which predates your K2000 by a couple of models) and its only 6 MP. Here are some samples...Actually, when I was on board shooting these, I was somewhat lamenting that I did not have the K20 that had just come out - think with the newest body, I could take some really spectacular shots. Now, these have been post processed, but to tell you the truth, these are just fine, and the K100's sensor is superb. The K20 has a really fine user interface (and for me makes shooting so much easier and more enjoyable), but when I was comparing images between the two, the K100 held its own.

Last edited by interested_observer; 05-11-2012 at 07:07 PM.
05-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've updated the title of this thread. Please consider using more descriptive titles to help yourself and others.
I wrote it down so I won't forget it.
05-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
O.K. So just where is this place to post such things? I've got a couple that might be worthy. Nothing to risque', just a booty shot and a boudior (glamor pose) photo of an amazing 62-year-old that'll knock your eyes out! Not even close to X rated....but.... em.... er....uh.... inspiring, to say the least! And yes, I'm a dirty old man! I just cain't hep it, I tell ya'!
Just as you have found the category "Camera Help Central" and forum "Pentax Beginner's Corner Q&A", there is another category called "Photo Sharing and Galleries". There is a forum there called simply "Post your photos!" which is probably what you would want. You can read the rules for posting there. .