Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
10.2MP enough for 8x10?

....I'm going to keep asking 'em till I wear out my welcome.

My question is....with a digital camera than is rated at 10.2 MP, is it possible to print an acceptable 8x10 if you use the "full frame." This is, of course, assuming that the original shot is of reasonable quality, i.e., very little "noise," and needs little if any cropping? If not, what would be the biggest you think possible?

Maybe this sounds like a goofy question, but I don't know how else to ask it. I'm still thinking in terms of my "film camera" days, 'cause that's all I've got to draw upon....at the moment. But, hey....cut me some slack....I'm trying to get educated as fast as I can.

05-11-2012, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Think of it this way: What are the image dimensions (in pixels) of that 10.2mpx sensor? About 4200x2800? A common high-quality printer setting is 300 dpi (dots per inch). So you'd get 12.6" x 8.4" at super-photo-quality, that stands up to close inspection with a magnifier. But printed images are usually meant to be viewed from a distance at least the diagonal of the print. So a 24x16" print would look seamless when seen from about 30". Basic rule: Almost anything looks good if seen from far-enough away.
05-11-2012, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Youz guys are the greatest. I was indeed fortunate to find this site. I've learned so much in so little time....and I've just begun! Thanks fellas. I appreciate your patience and knowledge.

Dewman

05-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

FWIW, the biggest print I made from my K10 was 20x24, and it was superb. The interpolation subroutines in modern printers are excellent.
05-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote

My question is....with a digital camera than is rated at 10.2 MP, is it possible to print an acceptable 8x10 if you use the "full frame." This is, of course, assuming that the original shot is of reasonable quality, i.e., very little "noise," and needs little if any cropping? If not, what would be the biggest you think possible?

Maybe this sounds like a goofy question, but I don't know how else to ask it. I'm still thinking in terms of my "film camera" days, 'cause that's all I've got to draw upon....at the moment. But, hey....cut me some slack....I'm trying to get educated as fast as I can.
Yes. First 20x30 print I ever sold. K10 & Tamron 28-75. BC Ferry from Vancouver to Nanaimo .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote

An 8 x 10 will cost less than $3 to have printed. Take a chance and see how you like it.

I have printed 6mp images at 20 x 30 and they are impressive.
05-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #8

As has been mentioned, printing hardware and editing software is getting so advanced these days that they can make anything look good from a quality stand point. 10mp is fine for an 8 x 10 - and as Matt put it, it's cheap enough to test loads of times over. I'd be more concerened about getting correct colour, shadow, and highlight detail than anything else - printing is a pain in the ass to get right, because they will never look exactly the same as they would on even the best calibrated monitors.

Bit off-topic, but you can always stitch multiple shots for larger prints. I've got a 160cm x 40cm panno up on my wall - printed from about...I think...5 or 6 shots stitched into a 10.8k by 2.7k image. Came out better than expected. Of course that only really works for landscapes or where nothing is moving. :P

05-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

BTW, aspect ratios can become an issue in printing digital pix. Our dSLRs shoot an aspect of ~3:2. An 8x10" print has 5:4 aspect. An image framed for the viewfinder must be finessed to fit on the blockier print: crop it, or distort it, or frame it deceptively. It's very tempting to compose an image that is just freaking PERFECT when you shoot it. It's much more prudent to leave space around the subject so the pic can be safely cropped. Just a suggestion...
05-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
haze grey and under way....
go navy!!!
05-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've done 30" and larger prints for art galleries with 8 MP files from my K10D including the single image in my gallery here. I recently did a 46" film print too for a gallery. 10 MP is more than enough. As mentioned above viewing distances help too. I've had quite a few images on billboards, but people don't usually see those up close.

My lab once told me a print would look bad with the file I sent, so I provided them with a bigger file. Pro labs will help you get it right.
05-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Almost anything looks good if seen from far-enough away.
Even me (but keep your distance.)
05-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I used to print loads of 12" x 16" from the olympus E1... just 5 million pixel, and very sharp they were too i might add !