Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Yet another corrupted image thread (K-x)

I have a 15-month-old K-x that just in the last couple weeks has started throwing corrupted image files. Or maybe it's Windows 7. Last weekend I lost a bunch of files when I downloaded the images files from the memory card using a card reader and the Windows 7 wizard. I clicked "delete files from my memory card" or whatever that option says. When I went to view them in Windows 7 I could see the thumbnail/preview images but couldn't open the files, getting the message about the files being corrupted or too large. I managed to recover some of them using Zero Assumption Recovery, but most were lost. I replaced my card reader, which was already acting flaky to me, with a new one.

The next batch of pictures I downloaded yesterday (different memory card), I used the Windows 7 wizard but didn't tell it to delete files. Sure enough, I could see the thumbnail but windows said the images were corrupt or too large when I tried to open them. When I just opened my memory card in Windows Explorer and dragged the files to a folder on my computer, I can open them fine.

So is this an issue with the camera, the card, the card reader, Windows, all of the above? This is very concerning because I've been tapped by my son's high school band to "officially" take pictures at games this fall. Losing a card full of pics of our cats: not such a big deal. Losing a card full of band pics: semi-disaster.

System info:
Windows 7 64 bit on homebuilt PC, quad-core Phenom 64, 4GB ram
K-x firmware 1.02 (just discovered new version so upgrading that is my first step)

Thanks!

05-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Corrupted files are not uncommon. When ever I have had a problem, it seems to come from when I use a card reader in some form. When I plug the camera into the computer directly, I have never had an issue, but that is not to say that is 100% fool proof.

I format my cards before each photo session, and I format them in the camera, as I let the camera make sure the format is right for it.

Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery is what I use when things are corrupted and it works on images that others can't seem to recover. It's not free, but it works.
05-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My old K-x used to write corrupted file every now and then but it sounds like your entire batch of files are corrupted?

Are you able to preview the files on the camera before copying them to your computer?

If the files preview'd okay on the camera, I'd first try hooking the camera directly to the computer via the USB connection to rule out any issue with card reader and see if it's better or worse or the same.

If the files show up as corrupted on the camera, which was the case for me, then the issue is in the camera or the memory card itself. But since you have already tried different memory cards, it'd more likely be the camera.
05-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Ruttiex - I was able to view the files on the camera before downloading.
After some more playing, I think the problem is partially with one of my memory cards, since I couldn't write the firmware update file to it on either of my computers using either of my card readers. Finally updated the firmware using a different memory card.
I will try downloading images directly from the camera rather than using a card reader. I got out of that habit with our old digital camera, since it took FOREVER for pics to download. Now where did I put that cable...
Also I'm going to buy a couple of new memory cards from a better name-brand than the no-name and Patriot cards I'm using.
And will re-format the card before every session (after I make sure the pics downloaded successfully from the last time).

05-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Are good card-readers and bad. Don't buy them at super-discount stores, eh? I haven't had a reader that corrupts files, but I'm not surprised that cheap ones might.

I had one cheap multi-card that insisted on reformatting the card after I moved files off it. I don't reformat cards unless it's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. That's because I build a common directory structure and script onto every card of the various types I use (MS, SD, CF, XD, etc). The script knows from the card which target directory to use. Any garbles and reformats have been due to my own clumsiness, not to defective cards nor linkages.

My multi-card reader is a SanDisk Image-Mate; no problem. For the road and just SD cards, I use the mini-reader that accompanied my Transcend card. I haven't plugged the K20D into a USB port in years.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-19-2012 at 08:38 AM.
05-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
The next batch of pictures I downloaded yesterday (different memory card), I used the Windows 7 wizard but didn't tell it to delete files. Sure enough, I could see the thumbnail but windows said the images were corrupt or too large when I tried to open them. When I just opened my memory card in Windows Explorer and dragged the files to a folder on my computer, I can open them fine.
If you are able to drag and drop the files from the card to a folder on the computer, the problem is not with the camera, and likley not with the memory card. The problem only seems to occur when you use the Windows 7 Wizard. This is backed up by the fact that you did not allow the Wizard to delete the files from the memory card, and you were then able to open the memory card in Windows Explorer and successfully move them to a folder on your computer, where they could be opened.

Best Regards,
Greg