Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

stopped down

Am still new to this can some one tell me what the meaning stopped down is it something to do with the lens thanks in advance

05-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Stopping down the lens means closing the aperture by a portion...
05-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stopped down meaning not shooting at the lens's maximum aperture. So it a lens goes all the way up to F2.8, shooting at F4 would be stopped down by one stop, and shooting at F5.6 would be stopped down by two stops.

Normally when people say "shooting stopped down" they are referring to shooting in the lens's sweet spot (i.e. where it's the sharpest), which is usually in the F5.6-F8 range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
let's start

On every lens, you can read the focal lengt in mm (like 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm, 200mm, etc ..).
You can read the biggest aperture available expressed like this 1:1.4 or 1:1.7 or 1:2 or 1:2.8 or 1:4, etc ...
This value is the widest aperture you can get on the lens. Basically if you use it, we say you shoot "wide open".
But you can choose a smaller aperture (like f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f16, f22, f32). When you choose any other value than the biggest one, we say that "you stop down the lens".

Commonly, the best sharpness and color rendering is obtain when stoping down a lens. Around f5.6/8/11 you usually get the best of your lens on any DSLR.

edit : pwnd !

05-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
let's start

On every lens, you can read the focal lengt in mm (like 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm, 200mm, etc ..).
You can read the biggest aperture available expressed like this 1:1.4 or 1:1.7 or 1:2 or 1:2.8 or 1:4, etc ...
This value is the widest aperture you can get on the lens. Basically if you use it, we say you shoot "wide open".
But you can choose a smaller aperture (like f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f16, f22, f32). When you choose any other value than the biggest one, we say that "you stop down the lens".

Commonly, the best sharpness and color rendering is obtain when stoping down a lens. Around f5.6/8/11 you usually get the best of your lens on any DSLR.

edit : pwnd !
thanks for the great info am learning something new all the time cheers
05-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What i'm going to say isn't very original, but, if you have a manual with your DSLR, you should read it.
Pentax do some heavy manual for its DSLR, but they are quite easy to read and have plenty of information.
I don't say that because i heard often this type of question (forums are made to help everyone, and its great !), but because it will make you gain some time, and you'll be able to play more and better with your DSLR, and so, have more fun
05-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
What i'm going to say isn't very original, but, if you have a manual with your DSLR, you should read it.
Pentax do some heavy manual for its DSLR, but they are quite easy to read and have plenty of information.
I don't say that because i heard often this type of question (forums are made to help everyone, and its great !), but because it will make you gain some time, and you'll be able to play more and better with your DSLR, and so, have more fun
I will do just finding the time to do so iv read some like you said its easy to understand cheers