Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #1

Changing the FPS on Pentax K-10 D?

Hello I am a total beginner.

Right now what I do is take pictures of my horse and other horses in action. I have been told by people is that I should make sure I have a good speed for shutter and to make sure I have, something about 8 FPS so when I take a picture it would take 8 frames each shot.

So how can I change the FPS?

Thanks!
-Mary

05-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MaryCarol Quote
You can't, due to technology limitations (the camera is a bit long in the tooth now). I think it does 3 FPS.

However, I have managed to get good pictures of birds in flight with the K10D, never found 3 fps limiting. I imagine horses are slower than birds. A lot of action photography, is anticipating the moment and knowing your subject. I have never been the sort to machine gun the camera.
05-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Eight?! (Falls off chair.)
05-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by MaryCarol Quote
Hello I am a total beginner.

Right now what I do is take pictures of my horse and other horses in action. I have been told by people is that I should make sure I have a good speed for shutter and to make sure I have, something about 8 FPS so when I take a picture it would take 8 frames each shot.

Thanks!
-Mary
You don't need 8 FPS. Attached are two, 3 year old photos made with a K20. Also attached is a 1 week old photo made with a K5 (which will do 7 FPS). I didn't use hi speed shutter ( selected with the 4 way button on both cameras) either time. I did however plan the shoot for late afternoon to get some directional light and I panned the camera, following the horse, maintaining focus with the rear AF button. 3 years ago, I used a Tamron 28-75 ( still my most used lens). This time I mostly used a 50-135. See the last 3 entries in my Blog for more

I use manual exposure which isn't hard but takes some reading and practice. In your case, if you set a shutter speed at 1/250 or above, you''ll be fine. The K10 is good up to ISO 1600 with a little noise reduction. I'd recommend getting and reading copy of Bryan Petersens "Understanding Exposure". Also, just like learning to ride, it will take some time and practice, there is no "Good Picture" button on any camera. For one reason or another, expect to delete most of your photographs.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 05-13-2012 at 07:12 PM.
05-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good advice above. Might mention, that getting further away and using a longer focal length makes panning and focusing much easier than being in close with a wider angle lens.