Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D and sigma lens error

At a wedding shoot this weekend I had my Sigma 17-70 f2.8 mounted on my K20D. I also had my AF540fgz speed flash on my bracket. All working fine...and just as the bride was starting to walk down the isle, (not kidding here ) the K20D got an error message on the aperature screen F---. The camera totally froze, and would not fire AT ALL. Nothing...no matter what setting I flipped it too. (I had a backup that I was using for zoom shots and did get the bride...thank heavens.) Once I was in the back of the church, I disconnected the lens and flash from the camera, and reconnected everything, and that seemed to fix it. Also, I have to add...at the reception, I had on aperature priority, as I usually do, and let the camera pick it's own shutter speed. Had flash on aperature priority also, setting iso and aperature to camera settings. (which were about 800 iso and f/4. The shutter speed did not work properly, absolutely ruining the shot, shutter speed adjusting itself to .5. Does anyone know if this is due to the sigma lens on a k20d, or if this would be an internal camera body error? I can still return the sigma lens for a replacement but really like the quality of this lens. Any thoughts from anyone are really appreciated.

05-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like there may have been a connection issue between the camera and the lens- I'd try cleaning the lens contacts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clean the contacts on both lens and camera. Try the Sigma on the other body (assuming it's a Pentax as well); that would eliminate one of the two as the culprit.

As this is an intermittent fault, long term testing is needed to figure it all out; bad contact inside the lens or body is also a possibility.

Note that flash does not have an 'aperture priority' mode; it's PTTL/TTL or Auto or Manual or SpotBeam. I assume you were in PTTL as settings were copied from camera to flash. In A mode, settings are not copied (at least not on K10D, not tested on K5).
05-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks to both replies. My appologies for making a mistake with my wording. I was using Manual mode on flash using the same aperature and iso as the camera. I'm aware that it doesn't have 'aperature priority'.