Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #1

Step-up/down rings?

Hi Guys

Lest I order the wrong ones, I wanted to get help on the precise step-up/down rings (aren't they also called step-up/down adapters? Great if someone can clarify that as well), so here's is where I request your expertise:

Camera - Kx
Lenses I wanna use for macro work - Takumar 105/2.8 (screw mount) and Takumar 135/2.5 (bayonet mount) - with Raynox DCR 250

As of now, I cannot fit the Raynox on any of those two lenses. The adapter that came with the Raynox doesn't fit the lenses either. Hence I suppose(please correct me if I am wrong) I would need step-up/down rings?

Which step-up/down rings should I buy to use with both those lenses? (Even better would be if someone can point to a link perhaps on ebay?)

Thanks Heaps.

05-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The Tak Bayonet 135/2.5 has a 52mm front thread; the Raynox clip-on adapter should work. (It works on mine -- I just now checked.) The Tak 105/2.8 has a 49mm front thread. The Raynox optic has a 43mm rear thread. I use a 49-43mm step-down ring to mount my DCR-250 on 49mm-thread lenses. Just search eBay for "49mm 43mm step" and you'll find offerings, cheap. Good luck!
05-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
thats the ring i bought too and it works well. previously, i was jamming the clips on the adapter to force it to fit but it is much better to get a proper fit with a ring

BTW, i use thatTak105 with a Raynox 150 and extension tubes and get good macro results:

05-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Rio and Mike. You guys literally are champions to help someone this quick

Rio - Yes as you mentioned, the adapter that came with the Raynox fitted the 135. Previously I was looking to screw the adapter to the lens but than after reading that your fits, I saw that I could clamp it to the front of the lens. All good.

Mike - That macro picture is oh-so-awesome. As I said, you guys are champions

Now am off to look for subjects for my macro endeavours.

05-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
To continue using the Raynox clip-on adapter with the 49mm filter lens, you might consider buying an inexpensive 49-52mm filter adapter & maybe even leave it on the lens.

That way both your lenses would effectively have 52mm filter threads.
05-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Newarts. Yes that's exactly what I am gonna do for the 105mm Tak.
05-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd actually still recommend getting a stepping ring. That clip on adapter is bulkier and fiddlier to attach than I prefer. There isn't enough difference in FOV between 105 and 135 to be worth having both sizes of adapters around; I'd probably just get a 43-52 and use it with the 135.
05-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yes that's an excellent idea Marc, I totally agree that fat adapter is a bit of a pain to lug around and would surely prefer a stepping ring and have already ordered the 49 to 43 ring as suggested by Rio, but I will also go ahead with the 49-52 by Newarts and the 43-52 by you. Thanking You. (Though it would be something to track which ring is for which lens unless I leave them on the respective lenses )

05-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Yes that's an excellent idea Marc, I totally agree that fat adapter is a bit of a pain to lug around and would surely prefer a stepping ring and have already ordered the 49 to 43 ring as suggested by Rio, but I will also go ahead with the 49-52 by Newarts and the 43-52 by you. Thanking You. (Though it would be something to track which ring is for which lens unless I leave them on the respective lenses )
For a long while I had almost all my lenses adapted to 55mm for historical reasons (58 or 62 might have been better). It was great; my filter life was a breeze!

After a while I got a few lenses with large filters & abandoned the standard filter ring size approach. That may have been a big mistake. I now spend an awful lot of time looking for the right combinations of adapters.

Dave in Iowa
05-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
I am afraid I am getting there too Dave I will try to take it as a learning process for now, but I know a time will come when spending time looking for the right ring will be absolutely boring.