Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #1

Should mirror flop during optical/DOF preview on k-r?

Hi -
Quick query - should the mirror flop when using the green button optical/DOF preview on a k-r? It does so every time (sometimes more than once).
It does not do so on my K100D - is this a different design or a problem (the camera has just returned from repair for, uhhm, uncontrolled mirror flopping!)
best,
Neil

05-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I don't think the mirror should move at all.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam - i've been looking around the forum and some seem to think that the k-r mirror is meant to.
There is a thread here
"The K-r has no aperture motor (the little bump in the K-5 body on the right side (left if you look onto the lens) of the mirror box. Therefore, it needs a second source to pull the aperture spring back. It is all part of a single mechanics which rewinds the shutter curtains, rewinds the mirror and pushes the mount's aperture lever. The K-7/5 needed to get an entirely new mirror box (new dampened mirror, new shutter, new aperture motor) to separate functions."

What I find a bit odd is that the old K100D doesn't seem to need the mirror to do this.
05-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The mirror cycles with the K-x when you stop down, and I'm sure it does on the K2000 as well.

05-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it's one reason why Icould never consider the K-x for my own use: I use manual lenses with stop down metering all the time, and in quiet environments (jazz concerts) where all that extra flopping would drive me crazy. I had heard mixed reports on whether this was true for the K-r, but I tended to believe the reports that said it suffered the same flaw.