Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tripod for travelling

Hi all. I am hoping that some of you awesome Pentaxians can help me out with a tripod question. I am having a trip to Disney world and I am looking for tripod that is light and reliable and will not punch a hole in my wallet. I am thinking of the gorillapod gp3 and also the manfrotto 732. I am using my k5 with a 15mm, 35mm and a sigma 17-70mm. So, any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

05-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Forum Member

Don't know what the policey is at Disney world, but I've been run out of Disney land a time or two for using a tripod. Sorry, I know that didn't answer your question, but you might want to check on it.

Rodney...
05-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber which is great................but almost too big for a normal suitcase.....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GIPR5S/ref=wms_ohs_product

Last year I got a used Feisol CT 3401 carbon fiber which is very light and yet supports my K5 with a 70-200 Tamron atop...........and it fits in my carryon bag....
Amazon.com: FEISOL Classic Rapid Tripod CT-3401: Electronics

If you can afford the Feisol, I hardily recommend....
05-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
@oldphoto wow that is definitely something to look into. Thanks again for the input gdroth.

05-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

maybe a monopod is called for............
05-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I second the motion for a monopod.
It is light, and gives all the support you might need for even your longest lens.
It is also acceptable in some places where a tripod would be banned.
I would suggest a tilt - not pan - head for it for maximum flexibility.

Mickey

I posted this in March 2011.

You don't need a rotating (pan) head on a monpod. The pod and camera rotate together on the ground as one unit.

You do need a tilt only head, however to increase the stability and versatility of the monopod.
The one shown in the picture is a Manfrotto 234 Tilt head. It is solid, well built, easy to adjust and use for left or right hand use. About $30.
Vistek has a good selection.
Lee Valley listing under Garden Supplies - Telescopic hiking sticks is my by now well used monopod. Notice the height of the monopod. It can be extended even more.

Try this. Unless you are short, I would suggest the longer one.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=52925&cat=2,40725,45454,52925

A quick release as small and as flat as possible will increase the friendliness of your monopod.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 05-14-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Additional information.
05-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My philosophy is that the best tripod is the one I have at hand. Already having a carbon fiber Hakuba 6230C with a Kirk ballhead, I recently bought a Benro C1190T with a BH1 head.

The Hakuba gets to stay home ever since.

In the last trip to the East Coast, I put the Benro in my wife's suitcase, she didn't notice until when I pulled the tripod out.
05-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
I second the motion for a monopod.
It is light, and gives all the support you might need for even your longest lens.
It is also acceptable in some places where a tripod would be banned.
I would suggest a tilt - not pan - head for it for maximum flexibility.

Mickey
I also recommend a monopod.

My favorite? Manfrotto 681. Big tough and steady.

I also take a Manfrotto 209 Tabletop Tripod Legs w/ 492 Micro Ball Head , with a Manfrotto 035 clamp and Manfrotto 208HEX or Manfrotto 208 3/8".

05-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote

Try this. Unless you are short, I would suggest the longer one.
Telescoping Hiking Stick - Lee Valley Tools

A quick release as small and as flat as possible will increase the friendliness of your monopod. Mickey
Mickey - that is a nice set up. I'm assuming that is the longer one. Just curious, but how tall are you? The reason I'm asking is that in your bottom picture, I notice it isn't fully extended. I'm 6'4", and I know I would need the long one.
05-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Mickey - that is a nice set up. I'm assuming that is the longer one. Just curious, but how tall are you? The reason I'm asking is that in your bottom picture, I notice it isn't fully extended. I'm 6'4", and I know I would need the long one.
Tom,

I am 5'9" and shrinking.
Lee Valley says it extends to 63". They are right on. There is a little extra on both sections that I did not measure. Then the height of my tilt head and quick release adds another 3-1/2". Total = 66-1/2". I have no need to stoop when using it.

Yes. It is the longer one.

A nice feature is that one need not grip the little ring at the bottom of each section to open or close it. One easily grabs the entire section. The middle section snaps and locks into place at any position..

I have never used the ball that screws onto the tripod screw nor have I used the snow basket.

But the compass and thermometer are in frequent use.

I extend the bottom section fully and then the middle section using the marks printed on it for a quick exact set up every time.

The rubbery but not slick grip is excellent.

Mickey
05-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter

A mini table top variety. You can jamb it against a pole or tree, or on a bench or whatever. It won't be so big to cause injury liability to others and clog the walkway :-)
05-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks all for your input. I have bought the gorillapod gp3 with ballhead from amazon. Have received it yesterday and after testing it wirh various surfaces and lenses, the flexibility and compactness of it was what i was looking for. And it fits in my thinktank retro 20 together with my lenses and k5 and k7 comfortably.
05-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Mickey - Thanks for all your information. I think I will look into this combo. I have a cheap monopod, but your setup looks much better/safer than what I have.
05-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

a cheap monopod is probably the way to go... A lot quicker to set-up/pack-up meaning you can see/que more...
05-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Late as usual. I'm still going to plug the Velbon Ultra Maxi Mini (with optional D at then end of this less than stellar name). It's small enough to fit in a large pocket, and yet unfolds to be wide (and sturdy) enough to support a big camera.

The legs extend in four sections, and can tilt out in three positions. With a convenient twist-lock on the sections. Fairly cheap too, at least here in Sweden.

Last edited by drougge; 05-18-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo