Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #1

K110D will not take picture id built in flash is 'up'

I have owned K110D for several years now-simple, basic and she does everything I could ask for. recently though |I have noticed that if I pop the built in flash 'up' the camera will not take a picture. if I depress the flash gently with the trigger depressed it gets to a position (flash almost shut down) and the camera triggers and takes a picture just fine. I have looked around the internet but haven't spotted this exact problem. I'm not sure if it is a simple 'something broken' fault, in which case I shall manage without the flash, or a technical, setting changewd type of fault. any of you kind people got any ideas please? I downloaded an upgrade a while ago I seem to remember to allow a 4Gb card, but I think it was still ok after that. many thanks, regards JD

05-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm not all that familiar with the K110D, except to know that it is identical to the K100D, but sans SR. I have a K10D, which is of approximately the same period.

The only thing that springs to mind, other than a malfunction, is that perhaps you have the camera set in manual mode and the shutter speed greater than 1/180. No Pentax dslr will fire the flash at a higher speed than that. The converse may be true: if you have the builtin flash up, it won't fire the camera at a speed faster than 1/180.

When I get home, I'll try this with my K10D.
05-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have a K10D with a bad flash. When the flash is deployed the shutter doesn't operate. These types of things can happen.

I sent it in to CRIS (official Pentax repair) for a quote. In my case, which may be different than yours, the replacement components were quoted at $110. I declined replacement and had the camera returned to me. I continue to use the camera without flash.

I'm just adding my experience, it may not apply to you.
05-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If it is a broken flash, don't bother spending any money to fix it, you can get a good hotshoe flash for roughly the same amount and have far more capability.

05-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
thank you

cheers people, I think it is most likely a malfunction; have tried and double checked shutter speeds etc, so will have to live without it. not the end of the world, have a flash already, just handy for parties etc. worse things happen, regards to everyone JD
05-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do be sure you have good / freshly-charged batteries. It takes more power to run the flash than just about anything else the camera does.