Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A question about older Pentax lenses on a DSLR.

I recently bought a Pentax K2000. It is my first venture into the world of DSLR cameras. The camera came with two lenses, an 18-55mm and a 50-200mm.....as part of what I assume was a "kit." I have read enough of the owners manual to have a basic knowledge of how to use the camera (???). My question concerns how to use some of my older Pentax lenses, from back in my ME Super days, on this new digital camera body. I have a f/1.4-50mm SMC Asahi Pentax-M lens, a f/2.5-135mm Asahi Takumar lens and a f/4.5-80-200mm SMC Asahi Takumar-M lens. None of these three have the "A" setting on the aperture ring. I've read the owners manual concerning this, but I'm still not sure how to use them. It's my understanding that it's possible, but I need some guidance.

I also have several "third party" lenses that will fit the DSLR, but see no use in using them as they basically cover the same focal lengths of the Pentax lenses.

In the owner's manual, they speak of lenses as: DA, DA L, FA J, & D FA/FA/F/A. I'm totally confused as to this nomenclature. The owner's manual has 274 pages and it's a lot to absorb if you're as new to digital cameras as I am.

I DO know that on pg. 241 of the manual, they speak of an internal setting on the camera that allows the use of said lenses, but....I'm still somewhat confused. Can anyone offer any assistance?

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.
Dewman

05-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your lenses are not third party, they're genuine Pentax, so no concerns here. You can mount them safely. Last menu, "Using Aperture Ring" - 2, permitted, and 4th menu, Green Button - Action in M mode - Tv shift. Once you have made these two settings, change the dial on the top to M mode [I assume you already changed Auto ISO to Fixed Value], select desired ISO on the camera, and aperture on the lens, point the camera towards the scene you want to meter, then press the green button. Voila, the camera stopped the lens down and took a metering of the available light, giving you an appropriate shutter speed.
05-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

In the custom (C) menu go to the last menu item. It should say 'Using Aperture Ring'. Set that to Permitted.

Set the camera to M mode, set your aperture with the aperture ring, then hit the AV +- button to get a meter reading.
05-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

In the menu, under custom setting options, you need to allow or permit the use of the aperture ring. Where that is on your K2000, I have no idea. This will allow you to use any lens with a K mount or m42 lenses adapted via m42 to k adapter.

Re: DA, DA L, FA J, & D FA/FA/F/A. Any lens manufactured with an A setting or later, the body will control the aperture setting. M series and earlier, the user physically dials in the aperture value on the lens. The camera will still read the aperture value as F-- on M lenses and older but the lens will close down to the set aperture value with M lenses, with m42 lenses it's always stop down metering.

05-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I have a f/1.4-50mm SMC Asahi Pentax-M lens, a f/2.5-135mm Asahi Takumar lens and a f/4.5-80-200mm SMC Asahi Takumar-M lens.
If the 135/2.5 is a Takumar Bayonet, it will work exactly the same as your M-series lenses. M-type lenses can be flexibly used in M(anual) mode with the Green button handling stopping-down for metering and exposing. They can also be used in any Auto mode (which will default to Av) but only with the aperture wide-open. I exploit that with some manual lenses: shoot wide-open in Auto, or shoot stopped-down in Manual. Quickly flicking the mode dial saves time over fiddling with the aperture.

If the 135/2.5 is a screwmount Takumar, you'll need an M42-PK adapter, preferably an Official Pentax adapter. An adapted screwmount lens, or any lens without the PK aperture lever, can be used in M(anual) mode, or any Auto mode (again defaulting to Av), with you controlling the aperture manually. Just set the aperture as desired, press the shutter button, and the shutter-speed will adjusted for the exposure. Metering might not be precise, which is why we chimp and adjust and re-shoot.

EDIT: Oops, I hadn't noticed that you had a K2000, which lacks the Green Button. I'll let somebody with ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE explain how to do stop-down manual metering and exposing. I'll shut up now...

Last edited by RioRico; 05-16-2012 at 04:40 PM.
05-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In the custom (C) menu go to the last menu item. It should say 'Using Aperture Ring'. Set that to Permitted.

Set the camera to M mode, set your aperture with the aperture ring, then hit the AV +- button to get a meter reading.
I did as instructed, went into the back yard and shot a few pics of odds and ends....and it worked as advertised! Thanks for the information. Now, one more question if I may. I'm assuming that if/when I use the lens that came with the camera (SMC Pentax DAL), I'll need to reset the "aperture ring" setting to "Not Permitted," correct?

In order to set the shutter speed, I adjust that solely by the aperature setting....correct? That, and of course, I could also reset the ISO, eh?

Thanks again for the help.

Dewman
05-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Read this page for info on the various lens series:
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Here is a guide for shooting with manual lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thanks for the information, Adam. Sorry I'm not better at navigating the forum.

05-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I'm assuming that if/when I use the lens that came with the camera (SMC Pentax DAL), I'll need to reset the "aperture ring" setting to "Not Permitted," correct?
No, you can just leave it as is. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it to ever be set to Not Permitted unless Pentax thinks it will confuse newbies who have lenses with aperture rings and the A setting.
05-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah, I suspect it's so you get obvious feedback if you accidentally knock an aperture ring off the "A" position. Otherwise, you'd just get weird exposures and not understand why.