Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K10D AF motor sound is horrible?

My friend just bought his K10D from another Pentaxian. I noticed that the AF motor is way louder than my K20D, especially when using a 28-300mm lens. Is it normal?

05-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its hard to say if its normal or not with out really hearing it. That said, my K100 is very loud compared to the K20 I just sold. That was one of the first things I noticed when I received the K20 the first time - it was really quite. Now, with my new K5, the K20 sounded loud. So everything is somewhat relative. That doesn't really answer your question, but the best I can do....

05-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

they should be about the same

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Its hard to say if its normal or not with out really hearing it. That said, my K100 is very loud compared to the K20 I just sold. That was one of the first things I noticed when I received the K20 the first time - it was really quite. Now, with my new K5, the K20 sounded loud. So everything is somewhat relative. That doesn't really answer your question, but the best I can do....

I have K100D too, and K20D AF motor indeed is quieter, but this K10D AF motor is louder than both K100D and K20D

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
they should be about the same
So, is there a possibility that the body is not in good condition? My friend could return it if so.

05-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If it sounds like something is broken, then yeah, I'd just return it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Compared my K10d with K-5 just now -- same lens. The pitch of the motors does sound a bit different, but basically they sound the same.

Now, the shutter is a hell of lot louder on the K10D, but not the AF...
05-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If it sounds like something is broken, then yeah, I'd just return it.
The AF function works fine though, it focuses almost as fast as my K20D, and focuses fine, no B/F issue at all. I've tried kit lens, it sounded calm (just like K100D and K20D), but tried it with two versions on Tamron 28-300 when focusing from close to far, or the other way around, it gives 'louder' sound. So the loud sound comes out when using wider rage lens. The sound itself did not have 'cracking-broken' noise, it's just louder..
05-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
The AF function works fine though, it focuses almost as fast as my K20D, and focuses fine, no B/F issue at all. I've tried kit lens, it sounded calm (just like K100D and K20D), but tried it with two versions on Tamron 28-300 when focusing from close to far, or the other way around, it gives 'louder' sound. So the loud sound comes out when using wider rage lens. The sound itself did not have 'cracking-broken' noise, it's just louder..
It is what it is. Perhaps if you go out and take some pictures, you will find yourself doing less handringing.

05-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You tried the same lens on both camera? O course, one lens on one camera might be louder than a different lens on a different camera, but that isn't just due to the camera. A larger/heavier lens will generally make noise than a smaller/lighter one, because it makes the motor work that much harder.
05-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You tried the same lens on both camera? O course, one lens on one camera might be louder than a different lens on a different camera, but that isn't just due to the camera. A larger/heavier lens will generally make noise than a smaller/lighter one, because it makes the motor work that much harder.
I tried the same lens on both, yes. I tried it again with different lens on both cams. Both lens are 28-300. I understand that bigger lens do make louder sound, the problem is the K10D gives louder sound than K20D (even louder than K100D) with the same lens.