Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by br.davidson Quote
That is caused by aliasing when the photo is shrunk to a smaller size. If you are saving the full-size JPEG or RAW file from you camera and you print from that, you won't see these artifacts on a print.

On your monitor, when you view the photo at any size other than its native resolution (100% or 1:1), you might see this effect on straight lines. The sharper the original image is, the more pronounced the effect. To fix this, you need to pay attention to the interpolation method used for resizing. If you are using GIMP (free) or Photoshop to resize your images, you can select the interpolation method when you resize. There are several options, but anything other than "none" will get rid of the effect shown in your images above.

I attached two images as an extreme example of aliasing. The first one had no interpolation applied when resizing from 3000x4000 pixels to 300x400 pixels. The second used interpolation when resizing to 300x400. The only difference between the two is the interpolation method. No changes to JPEG settings, sharpness or anything else. As a bonus, the interpolated file is more than 20% smaller than the non-interpolated file at equal JPEG quality.
A remarkable difference in the two photos. I have dinked around with the "sharpen" feature in Print Shop and noticed that it's possible to create that undesirable effect. So....am I correct in that I need to use a different method (program) to download the photos from my camera to my PC? Or, is the program that I'm now using O.K.....and that I just need to use a different method of downsizing them? That, and of course, some internal adjusting of my camera? And, perhaps shoot in RAW (whatever THAT is!) I'll read up on RAW so I won't be such a dunce the next time I ask a question.

Thanks for the advice. Slowly....very slowly, but surely, it's starting to come together.

Regards,
Dewman

05-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #17

For your level of experience, I'd highly recommend Picasa: Picasa

It's free and there's nothing better for importing and organizing JPEGs on a Windows PC. The software that comes bundled with cameras is mostly crap, so try something free and easy to use like Picasa until you get a handle on the digital terminology. My wife, grandma, and dad all use Picasa and none of them are digital photography experts.
05-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
A remarkable difference in the two photos. I have dinked around with the "sharpen" feature in Print Shop and noticed that it's possible to create that undesirable effect. So....am I correct in that I need to use a different method (program) to download the photos from my camera to my PC? Or, is the program that I'm now using O.K.....and that I just need to use a different method of downsizing them? That, and of course, some internal adjusting of my camera? And, perhaps shoot in RAW (whatever THAT is!) I'll read up on RAW so I won't be such a dunce the next time I ask a question.
Yes, you should absolutely use different software for downloading and processing the photos from your camera. As I recommended above, Picasa is a great choice that can handle your entire workflow (except for RAW processing). I'd stay away from RAW until you learn more and find things that you can't accomplish with JPEGs. In Picasa, you can use File -> Export and choose an output size. You don't have to worry about the resize method and the results will look fine.

The effect in the first shot is a result of shrinking the photo without interpolation. The sharpening just makes the problem stand out more. Sharpening is another beast altogether and there are literally entire books written about it.
05-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hot diggity! I think I have found a solution to my problem with the dreaded "Jaggies." I took the photo into Photoshop 5.5 and resized it. Viola! No JAGGIES!

See................

05-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well you will be happy to know its not the camera lol. i took a look in capture NX2 and very good and very sharp. I downsized resharpned reduce noise an thats all. Very good indeed !
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
05-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I also figured another way to get rid of the Jaggies! I took the photo into Microsoft "Paint," clicked on "stretch and Skew" and reduced it by 15%. Again, Viola!

I didn't change the method of downloading the photos from my camera, just the resizing method. Very, way cool!

Thank you so much, guys!

05-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Well you will be happy to know its not the camera lol. i took a look in capture NX2 and very good and very sharp. I downsized resharpned reduce noise an thats all. Very good indeed !
Cool. Is the added color saturation and contrast a result of the "help" you gave the photo?
I really like the results with the Pentax 50-200mm auto focus lens that came with the camera. I've compared it to the Pentax manual focus lens I have and quite frankly, I like the image quality better with the auto-focus lens.

And yes....I'm delighted to know that it's NOT the camera!

Thanks for the help. I need all I can get.
Dewman
05-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A large amount of very useful information. I saved it in my "favorites," and will keep it for future reference.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Dewman

05-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never touched the colours believe it or not. I use capture NX2 for my edditing which does an amazing job with JPG. It actualy allows you to treat a jpg as if a raw.
You will get different results from all programs. I have and use CS4 which I have to use in the first instance to develop a jpg but then i Process in capture NX2. Capture NX2 is designed and used for Nikon by the way, so it only reconises nikon raw unfortunately.
These are sumwat expensive programs though.
05-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by br.davidson Quote
@amoringello: I used GIMP to resize both with different interpolation settings on each ("None" and "Sinc"). The ugly result is from using no interpolation, meaning no algorithm at all. I also used pretty strong sharpening on the full-size file to make the effect more obvious for demonstration purposes. I guess it's also an example of why sharpening should be the last post-processing step. I think GIMP usually defaults to "Cubic" interpolation so you wouldn't normally see such an ugly result.
Sorry the direction of my comment was ambiguous... my response was intended for Dewman. :-)
Anyway, looks like all is sorted out.

@Dewman, glad you got it working. Looking much better now. :-)
05-23-2012, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I guess the good thing is....I CAN get rid of the "jaggies," it's just a matter of learning some new techniques to download them, resize them, new camera settings and so forth, right?
You're looking t it wrong. the camera is not creating the jaggies - they are *not* there in the original image. The jaggies are being created by your ancient software upon resizing. So you don't need to do *anything* to "get rid of them", because they *aren't there* in the original images. You just need to know software that doesn't *create* them.