Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #61
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feel free to rant at Pentax all you like - as it seems you were steered wrong by them. I just don't think ranting about Pentax, particularly on this forum, will be productive.

06-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I understand what you are saying. I have said my peace. I just bought a used Pentax before I had my discussions with Pentax. If I have problems with this one it will be the last Pentax I will buy. Its time to move on to what I love to do and that is photography.
Thanks for listening to my ranting.
06-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #63
MSL
Pentaxian

Not a problem, and we hope to see more of your photos from whichever Pentax you use.
06-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Bruce Kawchak Quote
I was quoted a price of $200.00 and was told defintely it would not be more than that.The reality came in at $500.00 Big difference. Pentax repair should step up to the plate and keep their word.
Did they give you a guaranteed estimate in writing? if so, then yes, of course they will honor it. If thy did not give you a guaranteed estimate in writing, how could possibly *not* know that it might or might nor turn out to be accurate? The person you spoke to hadn't even seen your camera. I know you want to somehow make this Pentax's fault because you're disappointed a repair will more than a guess from someone who hadn't actually examined your camera led you to hope for, but I don't see how you possibly think random employee who had never seen your camera could possibly give you a firm iron clad guarantee on a repair price.

QuoteQuote:
I have owned Pentaxes since 1977. This is the first time I have been shafted by Pentax. If that is the case I will not buy another Pentax in the future and I will make sure everybody I deal with knows not to purchase a Pentax.
And we'll try to make sure everyone knows you are overreacting *big time*. Over the course of 35 years, you received one mistaken incorrect guesstimate on a repair cost from someone who had never seen your camera and *clearly* - to any rational person - could not have been in a position to offer any guarantees, and you imagien this somehow constitutes worse than average service? Most companies would kill to have a track record of only one (completely understand and practically expected) error in 35 years!

06-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
you received one mistaken incorrect guesstimate on a repair cost from someone who had never seen your camera and *clearly* - to any rational person - could not have been in a position to offer any guarantees
You're making a lot of unfounded assumptions. He was quoted for a sensor replacement. That isn't something unusual, nor is it going to fluctuate wildly in price between cameras of the same model. It's entirely reasonable that when you call Pentax for support that you get more than a "guesstimate" unless they clearly tell you that is what it is.

He's not just out his camera, he's out the $50 he spent to ship it, which he decided to do based on that estimate. I think OP has every right to be pissed.
06-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #66

Original Poster
Thanks Philoslothical for understanding my point. You are exactly right. And another note to Marc. I have owned three Pentaxes. All three I had to have repaired, my MX more than once but I stuck with Pentax because I did receive good service in the past and I do like the product and have convinced more than one person to buy a Pentax. My latest encounter has left me very disapointed with Pentax service. I do not abuse my cameras. I can't afford to go out and spend $800.00 to $1,200.00 and more on new camera all the time so I treat them with utmost respect. Too bad as you said Pentax has random employee's working the phone lines at Pentax Service. "Hey get Bill down in shipping to man the phone lines in service today, Joe didn't show up. If anybody ask you for costs of repairs just make him up a number. If its $300.00 off thats close enough. We want to sell new cameras. We're not interested in repairs especially in older cameras. I am assuming Marc being a moderator and living in Denver, Co. that you may be an employee for Pentax. If Pentax new philosophy is to give you the run around like a dog chasing his tail, then dark days are ahead for Pentax because I will not be the only formally loyal unhappy customer. You can call it what you want. Overreacting "Big time", I don't think so. Mad, yes I am. I wonder how a letter to the parent company, "Ricoh" will be handled. One can only hope this same philosophy doesn't come from the top.
06-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #67
Veteran Member

No, I do not work for Pentax. But you basically addressed none of my points. I'm sorry someone who never laid eyes on your camera made an incorrect guess as to what might be wrong and how much it might cost to fix it. Why you expected otherwise remains a mystery to me, and why you'd let one such incorrect guess in 35 years lead you to the wildly bizarre conclusion that Pentax service is somehow subpar is even more mysterious. Yes, you are overreacting big time. If it costs $500 to fix your camera, that is what it costs. Do you imagine it would be cheaper to fix a similar problem with a Nikon or Canon camera? Do you imagine Nikon or canon employees who have never seen your camera would consistently make better guesses as to what it might cost (ie, they would need to beat the one-error-in-35-years average Pentax managed)?

Bottom line remains, why on earth would any sane person take as gospel truth the guess of someone who had not seen the camera? That is what completely boggles my mind. I don't care if he a qualified repair technician, a guy from shipping, or the company barber. If he hasn't seen your camera, he isn't in any position to make any ironclad guarantees, and that seems so obvious I can't believe anyone would waste their time questioning it.

06-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #68

Original Poster
Marc you don't seem to get it through your head. I specifically asked what it would cost to replace my sensor with a new one. $200.00 was what I was told . $300.00 is a big gap. Thats why I sent it. Quit sticking up for incompetence. I didn's say Canon or Nikon would be cheaper to fix. That's not my point. Pentax put a sensor in the camera that is faulty. A sensor made by Samsung. Samsung was selling a rebadged camer called the GX20. I taked to camera repair people. They have run across similar problems. They don't like to fix the K20D. Pentax is now using Sony sensors. Nikon is also using the same sensor. Marc I don't care what you think, whether I am over reacting or not. I am royally pissed off my camera failed as much as I babied it. The sensor was faulty. Pentax told me $200.00 to replace the sensor, no more than that. Ok everybody makes mistakes. The Pentax employee who told me the price cost me an additional $52.00 just to send the camera. Oh well tough luck for me. Don't complain about it though, people might take it as overreacting. Instead of wasting time designing cameras nobody wants like the "Q" and the ugly yellow brick by Marc Newsom the "K01" Pentax should sure up its customer relations. Unless I get some feedback from Pentax I am going to complain and I am going to complain loudly. I don't care what you think or what you think you know. I will let everybody know my experience with Pentax wasn't so warm and fuzzy.
06-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Good, and I will let everyone know my feelings in contexts where the fact that I am a moderator won't cause any appearance of impropriety.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-11-2012 at 07:36 AM.
06-10-2012, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

Really petty arguments here for a moderator.

I don't know why you feel the need to keep goading him. Shouldn't you be above this? You've repeatedly called him irrational. Name calling. A real good example you're setting. If you don't have any sympathy for his situation, fine, but to keep on insulting him isn't right.
06-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Really petty arguments here for a moderator.
Aye, uncool stuff... unfortunately it doesn't surprise me (coz I had my share too, LOL)
06-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Fine, edited. My intent is simply to make sure others are not mislead.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-11-2012 at 07:43 AM.
06-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #73
Veteran Member

The OP should request that the postage costs are refunded, bearing in mind the verbal quote was so much less. No point getting p**ssed off at Pentax, just be firm and insistent.
06-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
The OP should request that the postage costs are refunded, bearing in mind the verbal quote was so much less. No point getting p**ssed off at Pentax, just be firm and insistent.
Agree, after 30 years in retail I can assure you a firm, reasoned and polite request ALWAYS gets a better response than screaming and yelling. If Pentax "quoted" the OP $200 and it turned out it was much more then I think a request for re-reimbursement of postage is reasonable to resolve this. However, if the person on the phone at Pentax said something like "yeah I heard it costs about $200" then sorry that is not an official quote, I would have taken that with a large grain of salt. And, OP I am not saying that is what happened but there is a difference between an "estimate" (guess) and a "quote" (official and fixed".

If it were me I would firmly and politely insist to Pentax that I was quoted $200 and that they should honor that. Bad mouthing Pentax (or any company) on an online forum without first having exhausted all attempts to resolve the problem first is premature in my opinion. Call Pentax back and explain, I hope you documented the time, date and person you spoke with, and request that the original quote be honored. If they cannot do that, request reimbursement for shipping charges. Be polite, and if the first person cannot help you, politely and calmly request that you be allowed to speak to their manager.