Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #1

AF360FGZ flash with the K-r

I bought a AF360FGZ recently to use with myK-r. However I have a few questions.

The AF360FGZ printed manual supplied with the flash purchase does not seem tobe up to date (2003). To test the flash I shot a few images with the K-r set atportrait, auto flash+red eye reduction, AF. However the AF360FGZ manual on page23 says in the P-TTL Auto Flash section (items 6 and 7) when the correctexposure is obtained (when I press the shutter halfway to invoke the autofocus- the manual does not tell me to do this) it will be indicated by the flashconfirmation indicator in the viewfinder (downward pointing lightning bolt)which will BLINK SEVERAL TIMES and P-TTL on the LCD panel will also blink for 2secs. The lightning bolt does appear in the K-r viewfinder and P-TTL remains onthe K-r lcd BUT THEY DO NOT BLINK. I then read the K-r manual page 181"Using the P-TTL Auto Mode" section. The second bullet point on page182 (memo section) only says the downward lightning bolt icon should be on butsays nothing about it (and the P-TTL on the LCD) TO BE BLINKING. Which is themore accurate description of what should happen for successful picture takingusing P-TTL external flash?

Also another point in the K-r manual (top of page 181) "About the DisplayPanel for AF360FGZ". On the AF360FGZ unit the FORMAT size cannot be set toa DIGITAL option (only has 35, 645 and 67). So I set the FORMAT indicator inthe AF360FGZ to 35 mm. It also says that the FORMAT size indicator on theAF360FGZ (35 mm in my case) disappears when the EXPOSURE METERING TIMER of theK-r is on (returns to 35 mm when the when the exposure metering timer is turnedoff). WHERE IS THE EXPOSURE METERING TIMER ? How do you set it ON/OFF ? (TheFORMAT size indicator on the AF360FGZ does disappear though when I press theshutter on the K-r halfway to invoke the autofocus and remains off during thefiring of the shutter and for a while, reappearing after a few seconds).

Lastly if I am using the AF360FGZ incorrectly to take a P-TTL flash how shouldI use it correctly ? What mode should I use to shoot indoors ? Portrait, M, Av,Tv, P ? What should I set on the K-r (and on the AF360FGZ) for correct use ?

Also I am not able to set the plain TTL auto flash (not P-TTL) mode on theAF360FGZ. How do you set it ? I understand it is less accurate than P-TTL.

If anyone can help me with these problems I will be very grateful. Many thanksin advance.

05-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of questions here but I'll try to help.

P-TTL basically should be reading the exposure information and firing accordingly. I set mine to 35 mm, A. Zoom (it reads the zoom of the lens accurately) and I use it on whatever mode I need which is usually Av.

I've never really worried about whatever indicator is flashing or not. I realize that the flash was originally created well before my K-x came into being. Althought not the best flash in existence, it generally works well and effortlessly.
05-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note: I don't have the AF360 and I don't have the K-r (though I have the PDF manuals); I don't use scene modes but either Av or M on the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by psur45 Quote
The AF360FGZ printed manual supplied with the flash purchase does not seem tobe up to date (2003). To test the flash I shot a few images with the K-r set atportrait, auto flash+red eye reduction, AF. However the AF360FGZ manual on page23 says in the P-TTL Auto Flash section (items 6 and 7) when the correctexposure is obtained (when I press the shutter halfway to invoke the autofocus- the manual does not tell me to do this) it will be indicated by the flashconfirmation indicator in the viewfinder (downward pointing lightning bolt)which will BLINK SEVERAL TIMES and P-TTL on the LCD panel will also blink for 2secs. The lightning bolt does appear in the K-r viewfinder and P-TTL remains onthe K-r lcd BUT THEY DO NOT BLINK. I then read the K-r manual page 181"Using the P-TTL Auto Mode" section. The second bullet point on page182 (memo section) only says the downward lightning bolt icon should be on butsays nothing about it (and the P-TTL on the LCD) TO BE BLINKING. Which is themore accurate description of what should happen for successful picture takingusing P-TTL external flash?
I think the K-r manual is more accurate.

Also another point in the K-r manual (top of page 181) "About the DisplayPanel for AF360FGZ". On the AF360FGZ unit the FORMAT size cannot be set toa DIGITAL option (only has 35, 645 and 67). So I set the FORMAT indicator inthe AF360FGZ to 35 mm. It also says that the FORMAT size indicator on theAF360FGZ (35 mm in my case) disappears when the EXPOSURE METERING TIMER of theK-r is on (returns to 35 mm when the when the exposure metering timer is turnedoff). WHERE IS THE EXPOSURE METERING TIMER ? How do you set it ON/OFF ? (TheFORMAT size indicator on the AF360FGZ does disappear though when I press theshutter on the K-r halfway to invoke the autofocus and remains off during thefiring of the shutter and for a while, reappearing after a few seconds).
The AF360 manual states that with a digital camera (and a few older film cameras; page 17 of the PDF manual that describes the setting of the format), the format will be automatically set; so I would not worry about that.

Lastly if I am using the AF360FGZ incorrectly to take a P-TTL flash how shouldI use it correctly ? What mode should I use to shoot indoors ? Portrait, M, Av,Tv, P ? What should I set on the K-r (and on the AF360FGZ) for correct use ?
Not saying that you use it incorrectly, general advise is to use Av or M. The aperture (in combination with the ISO) determines the reach of the flash (formulas can be found in your camera manual and the flash manual). Do NOT use auto-ISO as it's the mother of all evil when it comes to flash. Set the shutter speed to 1/180s or slower; the shutter speed determines how much ambient light still will affect the image (in pitch black darkness there will be no difference between 1/180s and 1/30s as there is no ambient light).

Also I am not able to set the plain TTL auto flash (not P-TTL) mode on theAF360FGZ. How do you set it ? I understand it is less accurate than P-TTL.
You can't; dSLRs use pTTL; older SLRs (and I think one or two of the digital ist models) use TTL. The difference is that with TTL the camera will measure the light reflected from the film during the actual exposure while with pTTL it will give a pre-flash before taking the photo to determine correct exposure.

Hope it helps a bit.