Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cable releases don't last

I have bought at least three cable releases, and after a few months, they don't seem to work anymore. I took one apart but couldn't really see anything wrong, like a loose wire. (These are the electronic type, not plunger for film camera.)
I have k100D and k10D if that matters.
I am on a really limited budget. Any suggestions as to what I can do to repair/make one last longer?

05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
What brand are you getting? I've never had a problem with my official Pentax branded one.
05-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I am using this one and so far no problems. I would suspect that the point of failure will be in the cord or the connections. That wire is really thin and kinking it during use will likely cause it to break eventually. This was $7.50us I think.
05-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I too am on my second $3 Chinese knockoff. The first one just stopped working after a couple of years. For a replacement, I just googled and founded another. I did not even think of B&H - should have though....

05-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

This is one of the things that in my opinion technology has not improved up. I have a simple standard threaded cable release that my grandfather gave me which he had for 50 years. Of course the only camera that I have that accepts it is my ME...but both the cable and that camera may outlast me.
05-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cable release

Thanks for the suggestions. The quality level likely has something to do with it. I have been going the cheap way, with the no-name ones. That B&H looks better and the price is within my budget.
Also, someone on another forum said that you should never plug the cable release in while the camera is turned on. Something about a power surge.
Frankly, I can't say whether the camera has been on or off, I wasn't paying attention. I'm sure there were at least a few times when it was on and that might explain the problem too.
So bottom line: I'm gonna make sure the camera is off before I insert the cheapie cable I am currently using, and I'm going to order that one from B&H.
05-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
D0n
Banned

for my k10's I found the most reliable solution was to buy the stereo jack and switches from a Radio Shack and solder together my own cables...
05-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
try not to bend the wire where it comes out of the housing; that is the typical spot for the fragile conductors to shot out due to metal fatigue. you could reinforce the existing strain relief with some black tape to make it a little stiffer there.
ive had the same $4 chinese cable release for years with no issues, but figure its time is almost up.

05-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gallopingphotog Quote
Also, someone on another forum said that you should never plug the cable release in while the camera is turned on. Something about a power surge.
The cable release is just a simple switch, there is no "power surge" or anything like that.
05-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gallopingphotog Quote
While in general it is a good idea to always turn the camera (or anything else) off when plugging things in, I have forgotten to do that with my release a couple dozen times with no ill affect. As noted it is just an open/close switch, nothing to surge.
05-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
for my k10's I found the most reliable solution was to buy the stereo jack and switches from a Radio Shack and solder together my own cables...
Um...me with a soldering iron does not sound like a good idea!
05-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
While in general it is a good idea to always turn the camera (or anything else) off when plugging things in, I have forgotten to do that with my release a couple dozen times with no ill affect. As noted it is just an open/close switch, nothing to surge.
Shows you what I know!
05-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Chinese releases are cheap but you can buy 5-10 of them for the cost of 1 Pentax branded one. Do what MikeSF suggests and wrap tape around where the wire attaches to the plug and the release body.