Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #1

cable release socket ?

I have a K20d and wonder if I am able to use a cable release on it like the old one I used on my Super A. If so where is the cable socket ?

05-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DSLRs require the use of an electronic cable release like this one...

Amazon.com: Pentax Electronic Cable Switch for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Third party releases will work as well.

You can also use an infrared remote.
05-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning, The remote shutter release plugs in on the left hand side of the camera as you are looking at the rear of the unit. There is a door on the side that you open, and the remote plugs in at the top connection. It takes a standard RCA plug, and it the same plug as Canon uses. The remote shutter releases can be pretty simple, just a single button, or have a bit of intelligence with a timer, counter, etc. Here are a few....Their price ranges from about $2 up. The ones with the timer, counter, etc are able to be setup to take say 152 images, spaced 58 seconds apart with a shutter speed of 38 seconds. Also, one nice feature is when the wired remote is plugged in, and the camera is turned off, all you need to do is to touch the button, and the camera body will wake up turning itself on and focus if in AF and take the picture.

Unfortunately, the shutter itself does not have the screw in tap of the old shutters, where an old style cable release can be used.

05-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any cable release that works with Canon Rebel cameras with work with the K20D. eBay is a good place to get something inexpensive. I think I paid $7, including shipping for mine.

05-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
re cable release

Tks folks for the quick and informative replies. I will give my old release cables to the local museum !!
What is your experience with infra ray remote versus actual cable switch. Have heard that with the former you have to focus manually beforehand.
Look forward to feedback.
Cheers from Australia
Robrod
05-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IR remotes are fine. You have the option to 1) push to open the shutter and then release to close the shutter, or 2) click once to open and then click again to close. The difference is that in initial option your hand might get tired holding down the button. That said, the camera body needs to support both options. The first option is the default.

The other item is where the IR sensor is on the camera, front and back or just the front. If it is just the front then you need to reach around the front with the IR remote and click it from that direction.

Also, with the IR, you must enable the IR sensor on the body. The other thing is that the Pentax M IR release is so small it is VERY easy to loose or misplace.

Overall, I find the wired release easier to use

05-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks , interested observer. It is helpful to learn from others before diving onto the credit card. Love your hometown name, Tumbleweed. I am from Tweed Heads, Australia, where we get about 80 inches of rain a year. Guess that is lot's more than at Tumbleweed.
Cheers
Robrod