Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #1

Advice: Long exposure on K-5

Hi,

I need some input from gurus here. I understand hot pixel are inevitable when it comes to long exposures, but what level of it is consider normal? I've started to take long exposures (~5 mins iso400-800) on my k-5 for my study project. I noticed that there are hot pixel which are normal but what gets me wondering/worrying is that aside from the scattered hot pixels, there is an obvious cluster of hot ('hotter' if i may say) pixels in the center region of the photo.

Image was taken with the lens cap and viewfinder cover on at iso800 for 3 mins. Cluster shown by the circle.

Image taken at iso400 for 6mins.

My question is, is the cluster normal or is it something i should send to have it looked at (still under warranty)? anyone could share their raw long exposure shots? thanks

Last edited by JFHY; 05-30-2012 at 11:58 PM.
05-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't see the images of the hot pixels.
05-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
Can't see the images of the hot pixels.
fixed. Thanks
05-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i'd try the pixel correction tool in the menu, if it still persists and it interferes with your photography, give the repair shop a call and send them the files, ask them if that's within tolerances and see if they will do something about it

06-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow, I've seen hot pixels before, but never clumped like that. Is that second image a greatly enlarged crop of the first one? If not, and it fills that whole center portion of the sensor you may have an issue. Usually the hot pixels will appear as a random pattern of varying intensity spots like the night sky across most of the image. Sometimes you'll get a group of a few like sized pixels, or in long enough exposures hot pixels will spill over into the pixels around them. Is your K5 an early model and could this be related to the original sensor 'staining' issue?