Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

Optio M85 - unable to charge

First time on forum here, so hello to one and all.

I have a Pentax Optio M85 which no longer charges anymore. I only have a USB connection and if I try connecting it to a laptop or PC a message appear on screen (not camera) that the USB is drawing too much power.

The blue light on the camera alights to suggest the USB connection is working yet it doesn't re-charge. At the moment my camera is dead and I can't use it!

Has anybody come across this issue before?

Thanks.

06-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #2

Original Poster
Can anyone help me please?? Really would like to sort this issue out as it's preventing me from using my camera!! THANKS!
06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ComradeBT Quote
First time on forum here, so hello to one and all.

I have a Pentax Optio M85 which no longer charges anymore. I only have a USB connection and if I try connecting it to a laptop or PC a message appear on screen (not camera) that the USB is drawing too much power.

The blue light on the camera alights to suggest the USB connection is working yet it doesn't re-charge. At the moment my camera is dead and I can't use it!

Has anybody come across this issue before?

Thanks.
I don't have this camera, so in all honesty this is a flat out guess...

Although anything with a USB connection is 5 volts, each USB port on your PC is limited to a maximum power transmission of 500ma (one-half amp). Based on the message you see, this camera requires a greater amount of power. This is not all that unusual these days. Many phones and certainly nearly every tablet currently being sold requires more than 500ma. I would suggest borrowing a higher capacity charger from someone with the same style USB connector. Look at the label to see if the power supply output is 1A (one amp) or greater.

My additional concern is if the camera's battery has a short. When you plug in the borrowed charger, keep a finger on it to monitor its temperature. It will heat up, but if it gets even remotely uncomfortable (~50C/120F), remove power immediately.
06-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the response. I have tried something a little different: I have a European plug adaptor (which came with the camera) and for which there is a USB port in-built into it. It looks like this: http://www.keyboardcoverskin.com/images/usb-charger-eu_01.jpg

I connected the usb to that with the lead on the other end connected into my camera and then put the plug via a UK adaptor to connect to the mains. Camera > usb connector cable into European plug adaptor usb slot > into European to UK adaptor > into mains electricity.

What happens now is that the camera illuminates it's blue on/power light intermittently (which illuminates around the round 'ok' button which activates the camera options) and usually only when I suppress the power on button. The camera doesn't switch on at all, however and when pressing the power button all that happens is the illumination temporarily.

Any thoughts?

It seems to me that the camera just can't draw any power into it even though I'm now connecting, albeit through a couple of loops, to the mains electricity. I've not had any issue with the camera previously when charging via usb until this started to happen recently.

Help!

Thanks again, Ben.

06-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I understand what you did power wise. I have my own stash of adapters for Europe and South America ... although I haven't yet been to the UK - - eventually that will happen.

Your mains voltage and frequency is immaterial in this case. What matters is what is coming out of your power transformer ... The output voltage is standard 5vdc. However, what is the maximum output current? This will appear on the label either in miliamps (ma) amps (a) or sometimes watts (w) ... roughly speaking, dividing watts by volts will give you amps. At a minimum, you need 1a (1000ma) output.

The other possibility is your camera may not have its own on-board regulation circuitry to prevent over-charging. Although this is not common, in such cases you have to use the manufacturer's proprietary charger because it, rather than the camera, has the regulator. Sadly, if your little transformer outputs at least 1a and you are still having charging issues, I suspect either a proprietary charger is needed or you have a defective battery.