Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I'm think it's time to find a replacement camera and I'm looking at the K-30....now I just need to decide on which color.
sounds like as good a reason as any to get a new camera .... blue is really nice. ...... as wlachan says it could be the internal part of the contact which is being "disturbed" by the cleaning action which breaks the oxidization and works for some time only to re-oxidize over the following weeks and the problem returns, this is typical of contact oxidization problems.

07-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That contact assembly is well sealed and all is gold to the flex and gold does not oxidize, So close to the optics, I certainly would not like to buy a used camera that had been squirted in that area with DeOxit !!
I'll put a photo up here of a dis-assembled PK contact assembly some time.
07-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
When changing a lens, try to hold the lens release pin in to avoid dragging the pin on the lens which might help reduce abrasion and small oxide particles, and allows the spring ring to engage evenly.
Thanks for the advice. And I always hold the release pin in when changing lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Those contacts are spring-loaded and although the outside can be cleaned, the inside might be dirty or oxidized. You may clean them with alcohol and then with DeoxIT (red), maybe even with DeoxIT (gold).
Now for that cleaner. Which one is red. I found these on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=deoxit&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&h...l_9b0esdpjsu_e

QuoteQuote:
I pretty much treated all my Pentax lenses contacts with these inside out, but that required lens mount disassembling, not something I recommend for average consumers.
I'm not your average consumer. I build and repair computers, including laptops (taking them apart and reassembling them. And I've had the mount off a Ricoh 50mm before taking it apart to check the Ricoh pin. This lens didn't have one.

QuoteQuote:
sounds like as good a reason as any to get a new camera .... blue is really nice. ...... as wlachan says it could be the internal part of the contact which is being "disturbed" by the cleaning action which breaks the oxidization and works for some time only to re-oxidize over the following weeks and the problem returns, this is typical of contact oxidization problems.
Blue being my favorite color, I was thinking the blue one too.

I think this is just the Sigma lens that's causing the problem because other lenses I have, don't do this.
07-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think this is just the Sigma lens that's causing the problem because other lenses I have, don't do this.
There you go.

07-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
When I buy the new K30, I'm going to go for it with a Pentax 55-300mm. Then I'll try fixing the Sigma. I like this lens a lot because the smallest in number sequence is 5.6, and it's macro capabilities are great. The Pentax 55-300mm is 5.8.
07-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now for that cleaner. Which one is red. I found these on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=deoxit&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&h...l_9b0esdpjsu_e
I recommend this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Booster-Electric-Connection-Enhancer-Lubricant/dp/B000...eywords=deoxit

I would like to add that the use of any eraser is a very poor idea because the metal would be scratched and rust down the road.
07-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Alan. I'll see about getting that one.
I wouldn't use an eraser on my camera but have used one on computer parts contacts and never saw a problem there.
07-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's great for computers too.

07-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, none of you would recommend me using CRC Electronic Cleaner on these contacts? I would not spray this solution inside the camera or the lens mount but would use a soft cloth with the cleaner sprayed on it. This can of stuff I have is recommended for use on cameras/lenses and it's quick drying formula is warranted to dry quickly leaving no residue.

And I checked back to my first post. I see I said this was happening with my Samyang 100-500mm lens but it only happened that one time for it. It has happened more than once on the Sigma lens.
07-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #25
Pentaxian

mmmm.... you know this shouldn't be that much of a problem, a wipe with a clean cotton cloth should remove any contaminates from the contact, I would certainly have no hesitation using CRC electronic cleaning solvent to dampen the cloth, just to be sure all contaminates are removed. you should inspect the contacts under a mag glass to check the end of the contact pins are not damaged or misshaped both on the lenses & camera, check also the spring loading of the contacts, push each contact gently with a Q tip and make sure the contact comes back to its correct position when released, If its sluggish to return to its resting position then its probably because its gunked up in the sleeve which the contact pin slides through, if this is the case use the cleaning solvent but you will need to apply a drop of solvent to the pin so that it runs down the pin and into the sleeve and work the pin back and forth a few times to loosen it up. I normally apply just a drop by spraying solvent onto a screw driver blade/shaft and let it run down the shaft until you have a drop on the end of the blade and then apply this to the contact. It may be that each time you clean the contact you are loosening a sticking contact a bit so it works for a little while then with time it starts to stick again. If the contacts are clean and not sticking I would suggest that there may be an internal problem with the lens.
07-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #26

CRC makes several electronic cleaners most of which shouldn't be used on cameras or computers.The CRC QD would be the best one to use.For cleaning lens contacts I spray a small amount on a soft cloth and quickly wipe the contacts before it completely drys.
07-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cee Cee thanks for the comments and instructions. I will need to buy a new mag glass as the one I have isn't stronge enough to see much and it's a used one I got from my sister where the glass is scratched. (I use it only to read tiny print).

Boker, my can of CRC is the QD kind. Label says CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.

I would buy the other stuff but I'd like to try this cleaner first. I bought this to clean the contacts on the edial of my K100D and it fixed the problem with no damage to the camera itself. I took the top of the camera off, then sprayed a small burst onto the contacts, moved the edial a few times back and forth, then let it dry throughly, reassembled the camera and the e dial worked as it was supposed to before getting whatever gunk was on the contacts. The problem on the K100D was the e dial wasn't making the changes it was supposed to do. Shutter numbers weren't changing from one second to the next, it woiuld jump several seconds and never get to the one I wanted it to be on. After the CRC cleaning it acted as it was supposed to do.
07-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #28

Cee Cee thanks for the comments and instructions. I will need to buy a new mag glass as the one I have isn't stronge enough to see much and it's a used one I got from my sister where the glass is scratched. (I use it only to read tiny print).

Boker, my can of CRC is the QD kind. Label says CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.

I would buy the other stuff but I'd like to try this cleaner first. I bought this to clean the contacts on the edial of my K100D and it fixed the problem with no damage to the camera itself. I took the top of the camera off, then sprayed a small burst onto the contacts, moved the edial a few times back and forth, then let it dry throughly, reassembled the camera and the e dial worked as it was supposed to before getting whatever gunk was on the contacts. The problem on the K100D was the e dial wasn't making the changes it was supposed to do. Shutter numbers weren't changing from one second to the next, it woiuld jump several seconds and never get to the one I wanted it to be on. After the CRC cleaning it acted as it was supposed to do.
Did the same on my KX about 6 months ago,still working properly