Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cleaning camera contacts

I searched here and online but couldn't find any thing I really needed to know.

I want to know if it is okay to use CRC Electronic cleaner to clean the contacts on my K-x mount and also on lens mounts? If not, Ihave some 70% Isopropol alcohol I use for cleaning CPUs of thermal grease, and fan blades. Which would be best?

Situation, or reason for wanting to clean them. I mounted my Samyang 100-500mm lens on camera this morning and the camera wasn't metering correctly. I took it off and reattached the lens and everything was fine. I thought maybe the contacts on the camera are a bit dirty or on the lens.

06-02-2012, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Some people use a pencil eraser to buff them, but I've found a clean, dry cloth to be sufficient in every case so far.

I'd steer clear of solvents unless the cloth alone doesn't work. A very pure rubbing alcohol applied conservatively to a cloth would probably be the best way to go. I'd suggest against spraying or applying any liquid directly to the contacts, put it on a cloth, then buff them with that.
06-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I read on the net that pencil erasers are bad because they could leave pink residue or even get sucked into camera, but gum erasers/art erasers are okay. And I would never just spray chemicals on my equipment, I would spray a cloth then apply or a Q-tip.

Thanks, I'll try the soft cloth first.
06-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm a bit skeptical of the eraser idea, too (any type). Even art gums shed. Some people say it works for them, which is the only reason I mentioned it. Q-tips can shed fibers pretty badly. I'd stick with cloth, a microfiber cloth would be ideal if you have one. Usually, if you can't see visible gunk on the contacts, it's usually just a bit of oxidization that will readily buff off.

Good luck.

06-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Even art gums shed.
I thought tthat too when I read it. But to let you know, the soft cloth seems to have fixed the problem. I tested it today and all seems well. Thanks for the help.
06-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Glad to find this thread. My DA 16-50mm was acting sluggish, so I wiped off the contacts on the lens and the body and now it snaps to it! Thanks to the OP for asking the question.
06-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Thanks to the OP for asking the question.
You're welcome!

06-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've used erasers on battery contacts (flashes and camera battery compartment) and they do work and I think I have used it once on a lens (holding lens upright with contacts on bottom..so residue would fall down) but never on a camera body contact for fear of shavings or fine rubbing residue falling into the camera sensor/mirror cavity.
06-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For gold plated contacts I like CAIG Chemicals DeOxit-Gold contact enhancer. Instead of the spray version use the pen applicator or wipes on camera/lens contacts.
06-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have generally not had an issue with the contacts, but would recommend either a dry cloth, or a gum eraser (not an abrasive ink/color pencil type) as the gold is only a few microns thick.
'
06-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would steer clear of any spray or liquid cleaners for cleaning camera contacts, some have very low viscosity and will creep along surfaces into undesired places, some will leave an oily residue which traps the dust & dirt. These type of solvent cleaners have there place, which (IMO) is in the hands of an experienced expert only. If you must use a cleaner then apply small amount to dampen a small section of cloth or cotton bud then use this to clean the contacts. The best thing to use is a relay contact cleaning strip (which is dry). As mentioned already a clean cotton cloth will usually do the job if its just oxidization of the contact material.
06-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
My statement from post #3:

QuoteQuote:
I would never just spray chemicals on my equipment, I would spray a cloth then apply or a Q-tip.
I'm a computer tech by trade and know better than to spray liquids inside equipment. I use Q-tips with alcohol (at least 70%) to clean fan blades only.

Seems the cloth I used did the trick as I haven't had any problems since cleaning with the cloth.
07-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Open this back up. Today I attached my Sigma 70-300mm Non DG APO Macro on my K-x and it wanted me to input the focal length. This is an AF lens. Camera set on MF and M mode. I removed the batteries thinking that might be the problem. Didn't work. Still asked me to input focal length. I removed the lens and cleaned the contacts on both the camera and the lens with a soft cloth, attached the lens and all is working fine now. What causes this to happen over and over again a few weeks later?

I'm think it's time to find a replacement camera and I'm looking at the K-30....now I just need to decide on which color.
07-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gold contacts are highly reliable when there is no arcing which there isn't in a camera, , and when they remain untouched except by the other contact.
The Pentax (& Ricoh) K mounts have a spring ring behind the aluminum mount which can be seen by holding the body at an angle.
Its function is to draw the lens back to the body ring, for accurate flat registration, accurate focus of a zoom, and for electrical contact pressure.
Make sure all 3 are the same ,bowed shape.. This ring is also an electrical contact.
When changing a lens, try to hold the lens release pin in to avoid dragging the pin on the lens which might help reduce abrasion and small oxide particles, and allows the spring ring to engage evenly.
Reading this thread I got a swab with iso alc, holding the camera nose down , wiped some black residue off both the camera and lens mounts. Don't touch the contacts with the swab or anything.
I suppose ideally, we should keep favorite lens on favorite body forever. Helps keep specks off the sensor too.

Last edited by wombat2go; 07-23-2012 at 03:34 PM.
07-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those contacts are spring-loaded and although the outside can be cleaned, the inside might be dirty or oxidized. You may clean them with alcohol and then with DeoxIT (red), maybe even with DeoxIT (gold). I pretty much treated all my Pentax lenses contacts with these inside out, but that required lens mount disassembling, not something I recommend for average consumers. Some Canon/Nikon users had lens contact problems were solved by DeoxIT (red) too. Though expensive but worth it IMHO. Just get the 100% bottle and apply carefully.