Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Major vignetting with 10 - 20 sigma + B+W ND 110 (10 stops)

I just got my B+W ND110(10 stops) and I've been testing it out with my 10 - 20 sigma and have been experiencing major vignetting, is this normal?

ISO 100 10mm 30secs f18

ISO 100 10mm 6secs f5.6

ISO 100 10mm 8secs f5.6

ISO 100 10mm 15secs f5.6

06-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not looked to see how large the front element of the lens is, however the thickness of the filter may be the major contributing factor here. You might want to see if it comes in a thin or slim style. I picked up a filter for my 12-24 and did get a thin mount a number of years ago, just so that I would not have this problem (and did not encounter this).

The wider angle lenses - especially the wider the more prevalent the problem, although you would not expect this with the size of the hood that comes with these lenses.

Looking more at your images, I am wondering why there is heavier vignetting on the left side, with somewhat minor vignetting on the right. I would expect that the vignetting should be somewhat more uniform and evenly distributed. That may be an insight into why.

just an idea....
06-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sam here, I don't know why the left side has more pronounced vignetting than the right, I did try removing the Hood, and also twisted the filter but to no avail, should I just return this filter back? is there no other way to get a 10 - 20 sigma a 10 stop ND filter?
06-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Whats it look like at 20mm? The lopsidedness of it is a tad odd.
Some of these APSC inspired ultra wide lenses are a bit cracked in terms of what is still allowable on the end of them, though with the huge step they added to it to allow a much wider filter diameter it shouldn't be having problems. This particular lens is known for a bit of corner shading which any filter would make worse at the widest angle but not to that extent, especially the upper left side, makes me wonder if something in the lens or camera is out of alignment and the center of the image is actually farther lower right. Be nice to see if the normal slight corner shading would be lopsided too.

It would be great if you have a different lens where you can stack a ton of filters until the corners are shaded and see how even it is, then you would know if its a camera sensor or lens misalignment. It would be odd for it to still be clear if it was the lens.