Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #1

Lens cleaning/resealing

Got my hands on an old SMC Pentax 85 f 1.4 IF. Beautiful lens, but it seems that dust/impurities may have found its way in between the lenses (I believe there are 8 layers).
Is the condition curable? ideally, a knowledgeable and crafty person would take the thing apart, clean it, reseal and reassemble it.
I am sure I can take it apart myself. I am also sure I'd ruin it irremediably.
Am I dreaming? Are there such services? In Taiwan? (which is where I live)
Or, should I send it to Pentax in Japan?

Cheers
Thomas

06-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hopefully it's not actually fungus. If you search the web you can find some examples of what it looks like.

If it's just dust, leave it alone. It won't noticeably affect your picture quality except in extreme cases.

If it's fungus, even cleaning may not be a good cure - it can come back. Ideally the actual lens elements would be replaced.

It appears you're speaking of the FA* 85mm lens - a lens I also have. It's an excellent lens, and is worth considering repairing if needed. Being an FA lens, spare parts may still be available from Pentax - possibly only from Japan. What this means is that you might be able to get someone (or Pentax Japan themselves) to take it apart, because anything they break during the process can be replaced. If spare parts are not available, few if any repairmen will touch it. I've gone through a similar issue with an F lens I have - parts are not available anywhere except maybe in Japan.

Probably you should see about sending it there, or use it as is. But again, it may not need repair at all. If your images are fantastic, it may be no problem.

Last edited by DSims; 06-03-2012 at 04:11 AM.
06-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks DSims for the quick answer

Nope, it's not fungus, I'm pretty positive.
I agree - the lens is worth fixing- I'll try to get a hold of Pentax Japan and have the job done professionally there.
Not sure they stock any parts though- apparently, last these were made was back in 2004

Cheers!
06-03-2012, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you really intend to keep it and want it repaired, then I would try a couple of routs. First there is Eric. I would email him and get his opinion and see if he can do it.Based on his opinion and experience, and he might be able to tell you if Pentax Japan can do it, or whether or not its best to just leave it alone. If no one will touch it and you still want something done, then you might inquire if these folks will look at it.Good Luck...

06-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
Already asked Eric and waiting for his confirmation.
Thing is: I live in Taiwan and Japan is more convenient.