Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Newbie has question about memory card

Last week I got my first digital camera, a Pentax K10D. I have some very basic questions about memory cards.

Following the manual, I hooked the camera to the computer with a USB cable. After transferring the pics to the computer, I can no longer view them on the camera. The images are still there, because the memory card is now full. How can I view the images again?

01-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
krs
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How old is your computer? Does the computer have slots that you can put the memory card into? Not saying what is right or wrong, but I never hook my camera up to the computer, I just plug the card in, transfer the pics, delete them off the card, and then put the card back into the camera...

Anyway, you could view the card again from the computer, and see what the situation is with the card...
01-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
Inactive Account

My HP printer has built in card readers for Compact Flash as well as SD Cards along with a few other slots I don't know what for. I'm pretty sure most newer printers come that way. If your printer has those or if you have a card reader that is probably the better was to transfer files to your computer.

I think you can probably find an inexpensive card reader for 10 to 20 bucks.

I haven't tried transferring the photos from the camera to my computer with the cable so I couldn't tell you why you can view the photos either.
01-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
May suggest If you have SDHC card better to buy card reader .mostly computer cant recognize new SDHC.
Sandisc usuaaly sale new SDHC with reader.
But i have different problem
My computer no problem when i downloud image from card reader,but when i connect camera via camera cable cant recognize camera. Itry different pentax cable/just bought new/ and another computer and same problem.
Any idea my be pc port inside camera doet work/i have this camera 3 weeks.
Same problem when itry loud via video cable.
I think i saw this too when camera connect to computer via pc cable.LCD screen black and not follow any command

01-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

We need to know how you transferred the files to figure out what went wrong. Most methods of copying from memory card to computer are not destructive, unless you intentionally removed the files. Even then, the card would be empty whereas you say it is full.

Ways to read cards into your computer.

1. Connecting the camera to a computer with a USB cable to transfer files.

I've done that occasionally though it is not my favorite method. When my K110D is connected, WinXP recognizes it as a disk drive. I treat it like any other disk drive, copy if I want to leave files on the card (almost always) or move if I want to delete from the card.

Are you doing this or are you using some sort of program to transfer files?

2. Using a printer as Sprags mentioned if you have something like an Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart.

I've done that occasionally though not my favorite method. The printer's card reader becomes a disk drive, just like item 1. Again, there is no need to use a program to transfer files. The downside is my HP 7960 makes a slow reader.

3. Using an external card reader.

I used to do this a lot. As Sprags mentioned, they are cheap and easy. Most are quite fast.

4. Using a reader built in the computer.

My wife and I use this all the time. Our HP Pavilions have multi-format readers on the front panel.

Once I've copied the files by any of the above methods, I verify I can view the photos. Once I'm sure I have a good copy I use the computer to delete the files from the card. Others, including the author of the Magic Lantern Guide, prefer to put the card back in the camera and format it.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 01-20-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Fix garbled sentence
01-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I had the same problem. Rebooted computer, and downloaded the files again, and it worked.
01-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My computer is 2002, Dell Dimension 2200. I do not have a card reader at this point, I just used a USB cable as the manual suggested.
01-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I sometimes have a similar problem when I download the pictures on the Mac G4 at work. I can't see the pictures on the camera display, but they are still on the card and accessible with any other computer.

01-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Talked to the salesman at the camera store -- hooking camera directly to computer can change the format of the files, so using a card reader is best. What is a good source for one?
01-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just run into Staples/Best Buy/Circuit City/Radio Shack and pick up any old SD Card Reader. Make sure it's USB2.0 (they should all be at this point). Shouldn't run you more than $20. I have NEVER plugged either of my Pentax DSLRs into my computer directly. Card reader is the way to go.
01-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you.
01-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
[...]pick up any old SD Card Reader.[...]
Um, unless you intend on using cards bigger than 2GB, in which case you'll need a SDHC reader.
01-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for the clarification, I've never used SDHC cards, just have a bunch of cheap MicroCenter 2GB SD cards ($13!) that I use. Quack!