Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #1

Flashing red spot

Hi all
I have just purchased a Pentax kr, am working my way through the manual and taking brilliant pictures, however on some of the images a red flashing spot appears. How do I get rid of this, cannot find anything in the manual about it.

06-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You probably have the highlight clipping indicator enabled. It only shows on th in-camera preview. Turn it off in the display (or possibly preview) menu.
06-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

But do realize before turning it off that, like most warning lights, it is trying to tell you something you should be aware of - that your image is clipped, either in that the shadows have lost detail by turning completely black, or the highlights have lost detail by turning completely white. And thus you might consider shooting again with exposure adjusted accordingly.
06-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #4

Original Poster
Red flashing spot

Thanks for your help. I took another shot of the sky and a similar thing happened, I am wondering if it is something to do with the white balance. Must keep on with the manual. Lovely camera, but very involved. I will do it slowly. Thanks again.

06-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

WB can affect this, but I'm guessing it's a simple matter of your exposure being too bright and your clouds are blowing out - detail lost, rendered as completely white in places. This idea isn't unique to this camera, or Pentax cameras in general. All cameras will blow out detail in bright areas if you aren't careful, and it sounds like you could benefit from learning to be more careful. It's just that some camera won't *help* you be more careful by letting you know when the problem has occurred. They'll blow out the clouds and never tell you.