Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The aperture lever on the mount appears damaged on your k-x - is it bent in? it is the item circled in red in your last picture.
If you press the shutter button with a lens unmounted does it move up when the mirror moves up?

06-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter

In the third pic at the bottom, the mount looks like it's bent a little, that is probably just the lighting though. It also looks as though the little leaf springs below the mount stick out more than usual. These may just be the photos, I understand it's hard to get a good photo without you camera.

Also on the lens photo, is that larger copper contact pulled up a little?
06-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi
The problem is the CAMERA, the aperture control arm is damaged. Probably the lens arm is getting caught on the wrong side so removing the lens will
bend the lens arm that way.
One other peculiar thing with my Kx and not the others is that some AF lenses will not install unless the camera selector switch is in Af position.
Never figured that one out but no way can the lenses be installed with the Cam in Mf position ?
06-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
Emperor and Senpai

Here are the pics. Sorry about the overexposure on the third one, but it's what is exposed right that matters, and that's the stuff INSIDE the mount.

Name:  kxmount01.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  kxmount02.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  kxmount03.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  115.8 KB

06-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #20

Original Poster
I am sorry for freaking out.
Yes- I did eventually purchase an adapter ring, and I screw in two old lenses to it just find. (I don't know the lens names right now, I'm not near a camera.)
After looking at the lens pin, I think the problem is there. When I press the lens release button, the pin goes down, but will not come back up. It does come back up, but it takes awhile. I guess the pin is getting stuck and takes a long time to come up. Does anyone know how fix that?

Once again, sorry for freaking out and for not supplying adequate information- I'm new to this and don't really know much.
06-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Ok, things are getting relatively better. Now you know why your lenses don't click, but you may still have an issue (most likely not, though).
Mount a lens which you know that should work, disregard the click, try to autofocus, set the aperture at f/8, say (so you know it's closed), then take a picture. If it turns out ok, I'd say you can live without the click, at least for a while.
It's only there to secure the lens into place, and is typical of bayonet mounts; thread mounts, for instance, lack a lock and do very well without it.
06-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #22

Original Poster
I just tried putting in my new lens that should work and did as you said, but it just whirred and couldn't focus.. I can manually take pictures, but I really wanted to try to fix this problem so I could take quick pictures when traveling. Thanks for your input!
06-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Are you sure the lens makes 100% contact, the camera reads it, displays aperture, focal length, etc? Have you messed with the AF screw too, by any chance?

06-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maggaloowhoo Quote
I just tried putting in my new lens that should work and did as you said, but it just whirred and couldn't focus
No, it should not work as he noted - the AF WILL NOT ENGAGE.

AF linkage engagement is tied directly to the "Lens Lock Pin" group - if this pin does not engage when you mount the lens, AF will not engage. As noted in my first post, your entire problem lies with the "Lens Lock Pin" assembly and no where else. This is the problem, it sounds like a tension spring may have broke. Is there resistance in the "Lens Release Button" when you press it? If not, you need to have it services, they will replace the part and your camera will function normal again...

No Click, No AF
06-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks so much for everyone's input. I got the new lens to click in by putting it on, and slightly moving it then stopping to wait, until I timed it to the right second the pin would finally come back up. I know now that something is actually wrong internally, but for now, as long as I don't need to change lenses, I will be fine. Thanks for your advice!!
06-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maggaloowhoo Quote
After looking at the lens pin, I think the problem is there. When I press the lens release button, the pin goes down, but will not come back up. It does come back up, but it takes awhile. I guess the pin is getting stuck and takes a long time to come up. Does anyone know how fix that?.......
Check to see if the pin is spring loaded - press down - is there resistance? - if no, the spring is kaput.

if yes, then does the pin snap back when you take your finger off it? - if no then try lubricating it with a light oil.

If the locking pin does not engage with the hole, the motor drive is not aligned correctly and AF can't work.

Therefore when mounting the lens do not depress the lock button while slowly turning the lens clockwise. If there's a spring load on the locking pin it should engage in the hole when the pin crosses the hole.

If the pin does not snap into the hole, the spring is broken or the hole is in the wrong place.

If it has ever worked correctly the hole is not in the wrong place. Rotating the lens a bit cw or ccw near the end of its travel might align the pin & hole correctly, or at least align the af drive coupling correctly.